6.0 problems

05lariat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 05 and at 75k miles i had the egr cooler start leaking. the truck was completely stock at the time. a buddy had a 07 and blew the head gaskets at 40k but he was running a 75hp tune

powerstroke7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 6.0 and it is in the shop as I am typing this beceause of the egr cooler, they said that the head gaskets were fine it might of had a pin hole leak but they were not for sure so I had them pull the cab put in new head gasket and added arp head studs. I think that it was just my egr cooler but wasnt taking a chance and wanted the arp head studs. Just to let you know try to find one with a warranty for them to fix mine and do the extras was $5,500. But they negotiated and brought it down to $3,600 so I got lucky

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.0L doesn't have nearly as many problem's as people thinknwhen left stock - Alot of the people telling u to stay away from them have never actually owned one. They just have to be maintained and driven. When people say that they have had like 4 sets of HG it makes me think that they had another problem that wasn't diagnosed correctly like a cracked EGR cooler or something. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for any other motor ;tu

cosmickcarp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 04 F-550 with a 6.0 Diesel from a individual. This truck only has 24,000 miles on it. Two weeks after driving it and pulling a trailer with bobcat, it started sputtering and coughing. Sucking down fuel and pouring out black smoke. Out of warranty because I am the second owner, I took the truck to a Ford Dealer and they said that it needed a new turbo. About $2,000.00. I then took it to a turbo mechanic and they said that there was nothing wrong with the turbo and started trying different options to correct the problem. Different Computer, no help. The last thing he did was install the original computer back and plugging in the wiring harness. Well this fixed the problem and everything was running perfect. One week later the same thing happened. turbo wasn't running and billowing black smoke. I unplugged the computer and reconnected and it seemed to be running fine again. This last for a day now. If I want to drive this vehicle I have to unplug and reconnect. Now it only last for a short drive. Can anyone tell me what I can do to resolve this issue. Thanks, Cosmickcarp

05lariat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I heard somebody talk about a problem similar to that and it happened to him after he ran his truck though deep water and the water got into the electrical connectors.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My grandfather's 04 had similar symptoms when towing his camper - Brought it to a Dealer and they said that it needed a turbo - Replaced the turbo and about 10mi from the dealership it started doing it again, turnedd out to be a plugged egr valve all along...

kellydgs

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought an 06 F250 King Ranch. I noticed a few months after it started to have white to light gray smoke coming out of the exhaust when I accelerated from a full stop. It also does it when I am stopped and idling. As the truck warms up it does not do it as much. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The truck needs to warm up to perform properly. The smoke is normal for a cold start. Let it warm up before you panic. It is OK and normal.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14