6.0 reliability

store5454

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a newer used Ford F-350 with a 6.0 diesel. Thus far I have owned a 7.3 and loved it. The four trucks that I have looked at thus far, when I checked their warranty history's through a friend), have all had extensive engine problems. Are there any 6.0 owners that have had reasonably good experiences with their trucks? I would sincerely appreciate any feedback. I want to stay a Ford owner, but definitely need some advice.

Thanks,

Will
Wingate, Texas
1997 7.3 Ford Ext Cab

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
well i have a 2005 f250 sc lb 6.0 and have had no problems this far besides the recall to get the engine reflashed but as far as realiability it has been good. Most of the newer 6.0's that i know of have been less prone to be in the shop but i also know of ones that have been in more than they should. i'll be honest and tell you that i loved my 2000 7.3 more than this one. i got a 6 speed in this one and the lag is horrible but everyone i know with an auto says that love them. hope this helps. its an opinion anyways-ck

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
I have a 2003 F250 6.0 with 73k on the clock and no major problems. Actually.....no problems at all really. Ihave just doen typical matainence and thats it. I love it!!!!!

store5454

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information

I appreciate the information that y'all provided. It is difficult to get any true life experiences without all the gossip. I want to stick with Ford because I think that the have the best truck built overall. The Dodge's are too small in the cab and the Chevrolets are ugly. If anyone else has an experience to share whether psoitive or negative I would appreciate it. I haul horses and my family and can't afford to be broke down in the middle of West Texas. Thank again for the information.

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 6.0L and love the truck...the only problem i had was egr valve got stuck...people told me cause i baby the truck...now every once in a while i get on it to kick out the soot...otherwise, no probs at all...just turned 40k miles

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I've got an early 2003 built 6.0 Excursion with 105k on the ticker and have had a lot of engine problems with mine. The 2003's and some 2004's were prone to more problems, but that doesn't mean that every one of them has problems; in fact, most are just fine. On my truck, the injectors have been a big problem (had 9 of them replaced--all on Ford's dime) and have gone through 5 turbos. But, as Bushpilot will tell you, the problem is probably not the turbos but the lack of training on the Ford tech's part in properly diagnosing the problem.

That being said, if you get a 2003 or 2004, I'd avoid any time of chip or programmer in it. I used one for awhile and that's when I had most of the turbo problems (injectors have been a problem for the life of the vehicle). I quit using the programmer, and problems have ceased.

This is just my opinion, just like what everybody else can provide. If you find a good truck, go for it. Good luck.

Bruce

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was built 10-03, with 50,000 miles and no problems...other than slick rear tires:sly I love my truck. Only time it was in the shop was to have a reflash done, the second was to put that sticker on the degass bottle to show new coolant level.:thumbs

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my third engine in mine. Previous owner overheated it real bad and messed up the first one at around 80k or so. The second one had some sort of manufacturing defect and only lasted about 5k or so before it started knocking. The third engine has been in since about 85k and I'm at 107k now. I just recently put a tune on it. I figured if the third engine let go, I'm either going to see about a 6.4 or a cummins.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06 f350 31,000 mi and no major issues ( knock on wood)just one prolem with the steering box and the wheel the dealer messed up (but thats another story). If you look around all of the manufactuers are pumping them out so fast that every one has some sort of problem. The difference is ford admits when there is an issue and try to make good chevy and dodge try to hide it.

rynarnell

03 6.0 8.0lift on 38"s
Reaction score
i have an 03 6.0 with 59000 miles. And no problems with her. I havent put a programmer on it yet. Just a lift and tires. But i plan on getting the livewire.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58