6.0 running rough when cold.

alex3012red

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a f-250 with 141k on it, have been having problems when cold. and there is no power when cold can't even make it up my driveway, i have to wait like 3 min. or more to get power to go up my driveway.also getting bad mpg's. 10mpg or less city and 13hwy. I recently replaced the IPS SENSOR, check engine light was on. I have no codes know after I had the sensor replaced. It was worse before the sensor was replaced. after the temp. builds up I have decent power, but i think it had more before it started to act up. any sugg. would be apreciated.
thanks

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I have a f-250 with 141k on it, have been having problems when cold. and there is no power when cold can't even make it up my driveway, i have to wait like 3 min. or more to get power to go up my driveway.also getting bad mpg's. 10mpg or less city and 13hwy. I recently replaced the IPS SENSOR, check engine light was on. I have no codes know after I had the sensor replaced. It was worse before the sensor was replaced. after the temp. builds up I have decent power, but i think it had more before it started to act up. any sugg. would be apreciated.
thanks

Does your vehicle start in a normal idle and then jump in idle while you are waiting for it to warm up?? Most diesels need a warm up (not a jump in and drive) before proceeding.

What WAS the code when the CEL was on??

Last edited:

jasonfrenchsr

THE BOSS 6.0
Reaction score
mine smokes blue real bad untill she warms up , straight pipe sounds differnt too, does fine once warm. i heard that it has a bad injector?

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
mine smokes blue real bad until she warms up , straight pipe sounds different too, does fine once warm. i heard that it has a bad injector?

Usually white or blue smoke means water in the cylinders. Could be you're getting a bad head gasket that leaks when cold and seals up at warmer temps.

Black smoke is excess fuel (like too rich).

Are you loosing coolant water?

jasonfrenchsr

THE BOSS 6.0
Reaction score
not losing water , it never runs hot .and i put it to the test too! about three weeks of hot temp. on the farm all day , never turned it off, we were busy irrigating beans and cotton. idk? it jumps and misses like crazy no power ,but when its warm ,she will fly.

DR.Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your fuel injectors are sticking internaly.there is a reflash for this issue . when you shut your vehicle off the little bit of fuel that is in the tip of the injector boils off leaving a thin film of varnish/muck.when you start it up the injector dosnt operate till the intensifier piston can free itself ,this happens when the engine gets close to operating temp.got a cust.with 8 injectors on order to cure his issue.his has 275k on it,and has been fighting the same problem that you are.he first brought it to me with 125k on it and it wouldnt even start.i did the reflash and it worked for 150k.now its time for the injectors.you could try and take it to a shop the uses BG products and have them do a fuel system service.cost about 650 dollars.thay say it helps restore the operation of the fuekl injectors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58