6.0 smoke out the exhaust?

PROGTCS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading up on this for a while & now my truck is doing it. So I parked it pointing down hill over night & pulled the egr & sure enough I have coolant down in the hole. Also the egr is stuck (I assume from steam/coolant). Why does the egr cooler do this? Is it because of the oil cooler restriction alone? Btw the only mods ive done is a turbo back 4" exhaust w/ cat delete.

03Superdutyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you got a problem. Bullet proof diesel is in Phoenix, AZ. They are awesome and has given us 6.0 owners hope. I have done a great deal of research and talked with them personally, and they are geniuses and will discuss matters professionally with you over the phone and not make you feel like an idiot. If my memory serves me correct, EGR problems and oil cooler problmes go hand in hand. EGRs can go bad by themselves, but a bad oil cooler can cause them to go as well. This is from their website,

The Symptoms of a Bad EGR Cooler

Symptom #1: The unexplained loss of coolant from your degas (overflow) bottle or cooling system. This can easily be explained when you have a bad EGR cooler - the EGR cooler is simply leaking the coolant back into the exhaust system, not outside of the engine. Most people make an expensive mistake of ignoring this warning sign. They assume that since they can not find or see the leak, it must not actually be a leak. The longer they ignore it, the more coolant that leaks out of the engine and quickly creates warning sign #2.

Sympton #2: All that white smoke coming out of the tailpipe is actually steam. As the coolant is dumped into the exhaust system, it quickly vaporizes and turns from liquid to steam and comes out of the exhaust.

Symptom #3: That "puking" of coolant out of your degas bottle is actually not a sign, necessarily, of a bad EGR cooler. Its more likely a sign that your engine oil cooler is plugged and is restricting the flow of coolant getting to your EGR cooler. (Click here for more information about this) The EGR cooler is not getting enough coolant flowing through, so the coolant that is inside it quickly begins to boil. When the coolant boils, it creates high-pressure steam pockets which billow out through your degas bottle, pushing and forcing coolant out of the lid. The EGR cooler should be replaced in this instance because its already been overheated and stressed - and very likely to fail in the near future.

How to Diagnose a Bad EGR Cooler: This method is easy to do and is a good "test" if you have any of the three symptoms above. To do this test, turn off your rig. When its all cooled down, remove the EGR valve (between your alternator and oil filter - it looks like a 7-ounce beer can with wires going to it) and look inside with a flash light. If it looks wet, gooey or steam cleaned, then you probably have EGR cooler problems

Check out their website a lot of info. and videos. Good luck. Keep me updated.

Last edited:

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading up on this for a while & now my truck is doing it. So I parked it pointing down hill over night & pulled the egr & sure enough I have coolant down in the hole. Also the egr is stuck (I assume from steam/coolant). Why does the egr cooler do this? Is it because of the oil cooler restriction alone? Btw the only mods ive done is a turbo back 4" exhaust w/ cat delete.
Bad news you are looking a new egr cooler or delete and new oil cooler here is why.
The 6.0 is known to blow head gaskets. This is why it happens. The Ford Gold coolant contains silicates. The silicates are not able to handle high EGT's generated by a good load or relatively high boost when run through the EGR cooler. They break down into a jell like sludge and fall out of suspension. This crud gets caught up in the tiny coolant passageways of the oil cooler. As the cooler clogs up it restricts coolant flow to the egr cooler. Now the egr cooler doesn't have enough coolant to carry off the heat generated by high EGT's. The limited amount of coolant in the egr cooler flash boils causing high pressure in the cooling system and the truck pukes coolant from the degas bottle due to the pressure. (it has to go somewhere)
Your uninformed Powerstroke owner is not monitoring his coolant temps and oil temps so he doesn't know whats going on and he keeps driving it this way. The problem get worse, the pressure causes the egr cooler to rupture. Now the egr cooler is leaking coolant into the intake manifold which then runs into the cylinders. Again the high combustion temps cause the coolant to vaporize. This causes unacceptably high cylinder pressure, the TTY head bolts stretch due to the additional pressure and there go your head gaskets.

Ok now you know the problem. Here's the cure. Get a good engine monitoring solution like the Edge Insight so that you can monitor your ECT and EOT. If those temps get more than 15* apart at normal cruising when at normal operating temperature your oil cooler is clogging up. Rebuild it now to prevent all that down stream damage from occurring. Flush that Ford Gold coolant cxxp out of your engine with a couple bottles of Restore. This is made specifically to clean out that silicate residue. Now refill it with a silicate free Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant. This removes the silicates that clog the oil cooler from the equation. If you live in an area where you don't have smog inspections delete the egr system. If you can't delete it replace the egr cooler with the cooler manufactured by Bulletproof Diesel. This is vastly superior to the Ford oem egr cooler and it will not fail on you. If you find that you need to replace head gaskets replace the TTY head bolts with ARP studs and use stock Ford HG's. If you have to replace the egr cooler always replace the oil cooler. That is the source of the problem.
2 stroker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58