Question 6.0 Stuff, Ideas, problems

ddan2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just a few questions, thoughts concerning the 6.0 in the wifes truck.
04 Exc, 68,000 the truck was bought used has K/N filter on aftermarket box, needs doo-dad thing done. Air bags on the rear. The cat has been cut and rewelded, missed that when buying the truck. I have a good feeling this truck had a programer when it was with original owner. dealer wont hook me up with past owner.

Issue;
1. cold starts are rough and smokey. but cleans up runs fine. Changed oil today { rotella }
2. Oil filter cap. how do you get the filter loose from cap? my cap also has a carquest parts number. All i could find is filter elements, no caps
3. I have disconnected the Egr, no light :) After all I have read the egr cooler is comming out soon!

I dont have the extra $$$ so most anything i do is at home, dont trust any mechanics around here. unless someone could refer one. The Ford shop did not know anything about reflashing the ecm.
I hope this runs as long as my 99 7.3 365 grand and going

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I will take a shot...
1. Perfectly normal for this engine. Mine is the same when it is cold out.
2. The top of the filter element snaps into the filter cap. It will just pop out. If you want a good cap, buy a billet one off of ebay. You will never have to worry about breaking it. $50 or so I think?
3. no personal experience with the egr delete.:sorry but there should be a ton of people on here that have done it.

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will grow to love the excursion.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Stick with Motorcraft or WIX oil filters. YOU can get Motorcraft filters at Wal Mart. GET RID of that K&N air system. It is junk.

Dave

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds sweet.. mine is rough idle sometimes.. but once its up to temp.. runs awsome... you have to pull pretty hard to get filter to pop out.. sucks cuz you fling oil around when it pops loose.. but easiest engine to change oil on.. pretty nice design

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ddan2

You're from Richmond, so when you say cold start, it's really not that cold, so the starts shouldn't be too rough or smokey. Keep up on regular oil changes, you may have some injector stiction from dirty oil. I would have the glow plugs checked out, you may have an issue there.

IMO don't bother with the doodad.

ddan2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just updating my post,
We have put 12,000 on the 6.0 over the past year. well the fall weather is hear, temps dropped a little and the white smoke rough start is back? just not real bad yet.

Oil/ I bought an original oil filter cap, and a supply of motorcraft filters. no more crappy carquest filters!
Changed oil, used Cummins Blue. ( reasearched it, Got a good deal for 5 cases )

Sidenote; I was at the Ford shop the other day, I seen a 04 excursion with the body removed from the frame. Wow thats how they do head removal work.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
as for the cold starts mine runs rougher for about 30 secs until the fluids warm up as for the smoke i dunno ...is it white smoke? might wanna draing the hcfm (frame rail fuel filter/water seperator) usually clears up any white smoke...i did my egr delete kit with headstuds a few months back and makes things pretty nice just knowing you dont have to mess with that anymore got mine at dfuser.com the whole kit for like 400 bux

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
white smoke

White smoke is usually due to water. If you have so much that you are pushing it through your injectors, you probably have damaged the injectors. Check out the HFCM to rule that out. More likely is a coolant leak from the egr cooler. Is the white smoke continious or just on start? Does your coolant level need refilling occasionally? White smoke is not normal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58