Question 6.0 Turbo Freewheelin??

RJDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 6.0 and when I turn the truck off I can hear the turbo freewheelin, Is this normal? Hopefully this isn't a stupid question but this is the first diesel I have owned.:dunno

Trusted

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yeah, The turbo is spinning at a fairly high rate of speed. When you turn the engine off, is takes a little while to stop it. Completely normal.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, The turbo is spinning at a fairly high rate of speed. When you turn the engine off, is takes a little while to stop it. Completely normal.

for sure.. when you stop hearing that noise... then be worried.. hopefully that doesn't happen :thumbs

X3 but... As with any Turbo Charged engine, when you pull in, to shut down (anywhere), It's good "Insurance" to let the the engine idle down for a few seconds.. or Minutes, after a work out.. to let the Turbo spool down and cool down to it's idle RPMs and lower the EGTs some.

I shut down after -300*, EGT... Bar None ?

Joe

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 but... As with any Turbo Charged engine, when you pull in, to shut down (anywhere), It's good "Insurance" to let the the engine idle down for a few seconds.. or Minutes, after a work out.. to let the Turbo spool down and cool down to it's idle RPMs and lower the EGTs some.

I shut down after -300*, EGT... Bar None ?

Joe

300* I wish, I only can get to 400* wont go any lower then i shut down

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Mine will go to under 300, before I get tired of waiting. The pete will bury the gauge at 300, all the way down, in a couple of minutes. Maybe your not idling long ehough? Dunno.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The -300* is just My preference, on My 7.3. Maybe I shouldn't have put a # to it.. but the point I ment to make was: IMO, It's just not a good idea to just pull in and Shut'r Down, when it comes to the Turbo. Let'r Spool down, Cool down just a bit.

I'm sure there are folks that would say.. BS ! But I try to take care of my Stuff :lmao:lmao

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The -300* is just My preference, on My 7.3. Maybe I shouldn't have put a # to it.. but the point I ment to make was: IMO, It's just not a good idea to just pull in and Shut'r Down, when it comes to the Turbo. Let'r Spool down, Cool down just a bit.

I'm sure there are folks that would say.. BS ! But I try to take care of my Stuff :lmao:lmao

Joe

X2 Big Joe!!

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg