6.0 will not start cold

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
it doesnt have a cord for the block heater,i cant find it anyways.i dont even know where the block heater would be.

but it just had a motor put in it.had the headstuds and a new turbo done at the same time.the little coily light comes on for a bit then goes out but it wont start.can cycle the ignition for the glowplugs or whatever it has to heat up nice but still wont start.we can crank till we turn blue and it will not fire.hit it with ether and lights right off.

where do i start?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The block heater is on the passenger's side of the block, just above the starter motor. It is in one of the freeze plug holes and the cord should be there too. Follow it up to the top and plug it in.

Dave

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to try an International dealer because if I can remember correctly both the heater and cord can be bought for under a $100.00. I think the install is really simple too.....

Also I do believe that Synthetic 5w40 is also supposed to help it start better in the cold. I recently switched from Royal Purple 15w40 to synthetic Rotella 5w40(blue jug) and my truck DEFINATELY starts easier after really cold nights....

atk

Reaction score
if you can`t see it above the starter in the freeze plug hole, then it doesn`t have one. i assume it runs fine, once you do get it started? depending on the outside temp, will determine on how long the glow plug light will stay on. since it had a motor put in it recently, check and see if everything electrical is plugged in on the motor....is the truck sitting ouside in the cold or in a heated shop?

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford did not put a heater cord on all of the trucks so a lot of them won't have one. Should have the heater though (go figure). The '05 I just bought didn't have one but I was able to find one on ebay for about $20. It has a two-pin connector on one end that screws onto the block heater above the starter. Then you just have to route the cord out to the front (or wherever) paying attention to possible pinch points. :D:D

Here's a link to the one I bought as an example. Just type in Ford Powerstroke block heater cord to find others.

eBay Motors: Ford 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel Block Heater Cord 6.0L New (item 150318506016 end time Jan-05-09 18:01:14 PST)

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
it runs fine once its started.then starts all day long with no problem.i didnt do the motor swap :notworthy it sit outside at night.ill have to look again to see if i missed the heater by some odd chance,but i dont remember seeing it there.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Ford did not put a heater cord on all of the trucks so a lot of them won't have one. Should have the heater though (go figure). The '05 I just bought didn't have one but I was able to find one on ebay for about $20. It has a two-pin connector on one end that screws onto the block heater above the starter. Then you just have to route the cord out to the front (or wherever) paying attention to possible pinch points. :D:D

Here's a link to the one I bought as an example. Just type in Ford Powerstroke block heater cord to find others.

eBay Motors: Ford 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel Block Heater Cord 6.0L New (item 150318506016 end time Jan-05-09 18:01:14 PST)

by the picture that looks like the right piece that i purchased from IH a few years ago. yes rich, double check above the starter. perhaps the cord is missing but i too thought they should have the plug-otherwise that is not a fun install from what i know....i believe the cord was about $30, my original cord shorted out and i just cut it out in a million pieces as it was routed was weird and zip tied in the new one.

ynnad40

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I ran into the same problem with my 05 no plug. I talked to my international dealer and they told me that all fords come with the heater installed in the block just not the cord. It cost $13 at my international dealer. I bought the xmas tree plugs and zip tied them to the cord and you can find plenty of holes throughout the frame to use to make it to the front bumper. I didn't want any holes in my bumper so it is hanging through the tow hook. You can't see it and I can always find it.

Danny

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58