6.0L Questions

Bronco3738

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I tried searching, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I heard the early 6.0L PowerStrokes had reliability issues. I only found a few people with major issues, but they seem to do all the talking. Is the later 6.0L better the 7.3. I know stock power is better, but I don't plan on leaving it totally stock. I'm looking to buy a low milage used truck, and later do some small mods. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially from people who have/do own both.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the 7.3 has a better head bolt assembly to hold the heads down than the 6.0l. The 6.0 will start to lift the head gasket enough to cause leakage under high boost conditions-- +30 psi. The 6.0 will go like hell if you mod it but I think the 7.3 is a better bet to heavily modify. I have had both engines, 50k with both and the 6.0 had more warranty related issues, minor but still annoying. I have an early 03 6.0 that has been pretty good. Never left me stranded yet though. I like the power of my 6.0...........but somedays I really long for my 03 7.3L. Get in and go. One thing if you live in a cold climate I think you will have better luck starting the 6.0 in winter. My 6 started when it was -35C out without a fuss. Dad's and Bro's 7.3's were frozen like popsicles, took 6.5 hours to get them going. There is nothing like the 6.0l turbo howl, it puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.

Anyways that quickly sums my experience so far.

Jon

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For an 03 the stock boost should be around 25 psi. That's 3rd gear wot. That's how they test to see if the vanes are opening the fully. I will tag 27 psi sometimes. 60 mph is about 7 psi with mine.

teamroper60

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Bronco3738 said:
Thanks, by the way what is stock boost pressure anyway.

In my '03, I can see as much as 28lbs under WOT if I am empty. Loaded, I have pegged the 35lbs boost gauge once. I have no idea what the max is on a later model.

Hope that helps!
:cowboy:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I see 30 puonds of boost on my '04 a lot. I have not noticed what it is under a load, I am to busy looking at the EGT's, but I would have noticed if it was out of range.

Dave

Ford Doctor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Stock boost specifications for the 6.0L is 22-25 PSI. Anything else above that is considered over boost and the cause of head gasket failures. An occasional spike is permissible and considered normal.

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
I have an early 03' like build date of 12/02. Never had ANY concerns out of it at all. Bought it w/ very low mileage used and the previous owner never had any issues. Alot of the guys that I hang around that don't get on any of these forums:dunno, we've all never had any issues at all and we range from 03' to 06'. One has an 05' and I thought he would have issues right off the bat cause he drives like a bat out of hades and doggs the crud out of his truck. The funny thing is the truck just keeps on tickin'. The highest I have hit on boost w/ the programmer is 31 PSI. I had an early 7.3L and had the later 7.3L and personally they don't even compare to the 6.0L by a long shot. The power and smoothness of the engine is a key point that I like. It all personally depends on how well you maintain and drive your truck as to how many problems you will have. But there are some bad apples out there that do come from the factory that as a tech I would just want to burn them to the ground cause you got tired of seeing them. But remember the 7.3L also had problems w/ them also along with that crappy 4r100 trans. When I did work for the Ford dealer I seen more 99' thru 03' 7.3L then the 94.5' thru 97' 7.3L. Alot of injectors, valve cover issues, ICP leaking, IPR leaking, the CPS that will go out so always keep one handy at all times, and HPOP leaking. But it is my opinion that 6.0L has its concerns but it has been blown way out of proportion. At least we didn't get a 200,000 mile warranty update on our fuel systems like GM had.

Last edited:

rum4by5

Reaction score
I own an '04, 6.0 and have no complaints at all about it. It does real well. You can drive it normal or you can WOT it and it will go. I have used it to pull a 2 horse trailer and to pull trees up on my land. No issues here. I have no idea about the 7.3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58