6.0L Questions

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, whoever has the short dipstick, I feel bad for ya... and your significant other!

Secondly, if you're pouring from gallon jugs you'd have 4 empties laying there, and you'd be starting on your 5th jug, last time I checked there's 4 quarts to a gallon, so you'd be at 16, on your way up to 20 quarts. The good book they give you with the truck says stop when? A lot less than 20...

Skweeker

Resident Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Back to the ops question about trouble free miles,

I have 108,632 miles on my 2004 PSD as I type this.

Vehicle has had routine engine and trans fluid and filter changes and one coolant change so far.

One Exhaust back pressure sensor. One air filter replaced way too soon.

All original ball joints replaced this past April at 95,000 miles.

The engine still leaks oil slightly since day one. Oil pan is wet its entire circumference. Glow plugs wet, oil leaking from cam sensor. No oil on the ground. I do not add any oil between changes and I don't see the engine making oil.

Fuel-in-oil as high as 4% but no higher. I sample the engine oil every oil change. Oil changed no later than every 5000 miles, usually between 4000 - 4500 miles.

I'm still running on the original flash from when the truck was taken off the dealer lot in June 2004. I have not had any recalls performed on the truck even though they are still outstanding. (Ford still sends me a reminder once in a while).

I average between 17 - 18 miles per gallon on the highway unloaded. I travel 100 miles round trip to work, 90% is highway with cruise control set at 61 - 62mph.

The EGR does not work. The pintle is seized shut. I found this out after removing it at 95,000 miles to clean it for the second time.

I'm happy with the truck.

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
so you...as a tech, advocate OVERFILLING a crank case ?

first of all i never said i was a tech. and second of all, i never said my oilpan was stock. all i said was that it takes 16 1/2 quarts to change my oil and you start bashing me

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
Okay, whoever has the short dipstick, I feel bad for ya... and your significant other!

Secondly, if you're pouring from gallon jugs you'd have 4 empties laying there, and you'd be starting on your 5th jug, last time I checked there's 4 quarts to a gallon, so you'd be at 16, on your way up to 20 quarts. The good book they give you with the truck says stop when? A lot less than 20...

yes i fill from gallon jugs delo400, and i use all four , then i open a quart to top it off.

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
Back to the ops question about trouble free miles,

I have 108,632 miles on my 2004 PSD as I type this.

Vehicle has had routine engine and trans fluid and filter changes and one coolant change so far.

One Exhaust back pressure sensor. One air filter replaced way too soon.

All original ball joints replaced this past April at 95,000 miles.

The engine still leaks oil slightly since day one. Oil pan is wet its entire circumference. Glow plugs wet, oil leaking from cam sensor. No oil on the ground. I do not add any oil between changes and I don't see the engine making oil.

Fuel-in-oil as high as 4% but no higher. I sample the engine oil every oil change. Oil changed no later than every 5000 miles, usually between 4000 - 4500 miles.

I'm still running on the original flash from when the truck was taken off the dealer lot in June 2004. I have not had any recalls performed on the truck even though they are still outstanding. (Ford still sends me a reminder once in a while).

I average between 17 - 18 miles per gallon on the highway unloaded. I travel 100 miles round trip to work, 90% is highway with cruise control set at 61 - 62mph.

The EGR does not work. The pintle is seized shut. I found this out after removing it at 95,000 miles to clean it for the second time.

I'm happy with the truck.
you never took it to the dealer for the leak when it was under warranty ? mine gets a little bit of wet spot on the side of the block, but never enough to drip in the driveway. i would love to get that kind of mileage, even when it was stock, it was never over 11 empty. it would really bother me if the truck had no power, but since it ran so strong, i never tried to do anything about it.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first of all i never said i was a tech. and second of all, i never said my oilpan was stock. all i said was that it takes 16 1/2 quarts to change my oil and you start bashing me

ok my mistake...ive seen you talk about seeing several edge's causing
problems and that youre company has many diesel trucks...piss poor
assumtion on my behalf.

if you DONT have a stock pan why wouldnt you tell folks that...are
you assuming that most owners have upgraded their oil pans ?

i think when a guy comes along <whos seemingly new, or new to
the forum> and is asking "6.0" question we recommend the STOCK
capacities.

honestly it still doesnt make sense but i would hope that you wouldnt
recommend pouring 17qts in a stock 6.0 (like it seems you were)...
and it didnt make sense to me that a performance "ORIENTED" guy like
yourself would want the crank wasting energy by having it sling
thru extra oil.

blanket statements will probably put you at risk as a target for
addtional explaination...and theres NOTHING in your sig that says
youve done anything DIFFERENT to your engine to up the oil
capacity...

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
ok my mistake...ive seen you talk about seeing several edge's causing
problems and that youre company has many diesel trucks...piss poor
assumtion on my behalf.

if you DONT have a stock pan why wouldnt you tell folks that...are
you assuming that most owners have upgraded their oil pans ?

i think when a guy comes along <whos seemingly new, or new to
the forum> and is asking "6.0" question we recommend the STOCK
capacities.

honestly it still doesnt make sense but i would hope that you wouldnt
recommend pouring 17qts in a stock 6.0 (like it seems you were)...
and it didnt make sense to me that a performance "ORIENTED" guy like
yourself would want the crank wasting energy by having it sling
thru extra oil.

blanket statements will probably put you at risk as a target for
addtional explaination...and theres NOTHING in your sig that says
youve done anything DIFFERENT to your engine to up the oil
capacity...

advice well taken sir. again my apologies, i've been working many hours and not paying too much attention to what i've been writing. i'm in the crane business, we have many semi's and quite a few superduties for fuel trucks and service trucks etc. i am not a tech, but i do a lot of work on my truck.
the original statement where i mentioned 17 quarts with a " :) " was because i was eluding to mine not being stock, but yes i can see it would be misconstrued as me giving bad advice.
this has been a big misunderstanding, my complete apologies, let's put it all behind us . come to vegas i'll buy you a beer bro.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
advice well taken sir. again my apologies, i've been working many hours and not paying too much attention to what i've been writing. i'm in the crane business, we have many semi's and quite a few superduties for fuel trucks and service trucks etc. i am not a tech, but i do a lot of work on my truck.
the original statement where i mentioned 17 quarts with a " :) " was because i was eluding to mine not being stock, but yes i can see it would be misconstrued as me giving bad advice.
this has been a big misunderstanding, my complete apologies, let's put it all behind us . come to vegas i'll buy you a beer bro.

no problem...sorry if i came off agressive...nature of what i do i guess...
not that it makes it right.

were glad to have you & as i always say...better over worked than
unemployed ! enjoy the cashola !

were cool ! :thumbs and im glad weve got another wrench 'round here !

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I hate to jab you once more lvtitan, but that is one of the reasons why us "rednecks" list our mods in our signature, it can help to clarify any advise we might be giving or receiving. :tongue2

But, anyways, no problems here, hope you can be a value to SDD and also get any information you might need :sweet

Just don't get Bushpilot fired up, you might be sorry :rich

:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58