6.4 blown headgasket?

se7en30

6.4 gasket man
Reaction score
So; I know the 6.0s had alot of issues with Head bolts stretching and that you can replace those to make sure you have no issues after a gasket goes..

How many people on here have had an issue with a 6.4 blowing a gasket?

Did Ford or your dealer figure out what happened if so? I have searched long and hard to find out what people know about hg issues on 6.4 and from what I can tell - no one knows if they are common, rare, etc.

Could a gasket go because of an overheat once due to the recall on radiators Ford struggles with?

Anyone having HG issues?

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I havent heard of any 6.4's losing head gaskets, remember one of the weak points of the 6.0 was the lack of cylinder head bolts. There needed to be more than per cylinder to reduce lifting the head under high boost. The 6.4 has more bolts. The biggest problems I've heard of was on job1 trucks were the injectors leaking, I believe it was either cylinder 6 or 8, not sure. You also dont hear too many people talking about the radiator issue anymore. Most complaints are geared towards poor fuel milage and regen process.

se7en30

6.4 gasket man
Reaction score
Oh I wouldn't go as far as to say the 6.4s dont blow headgaskets - My 08blew a couple of months ago.. Cyl 7 I believe.

ontop.jpg

Honestly I had NO idea (could not tell one bit - still ran perfectly with tons of power) and only found out becuase of a coolant test the dealership did; had the radiator repair long ago yet my coolant was really low when I went in to have TSB's done before completing the sale of the truck.

Ford Tech line was hesitent to believe at first, required the dealer tech to complete their entire round of checking, EGR, head castings, etc - ended up - for sure was the gasket (I held that blue gasket in my hands).

I will say; I was freaked out to see the cab off of my 08 $55k+ truck (I was selling it at the time) but honestly; Ford has their stuff together. I couldn't have asked for a better dealership to handle the work and everything went VERY smooth for what was done. Obviously becuase it isn't common Ford wanted to check all other options first but once they did their troubleshooting; they gave the green light for cab off and replacement.

Cab off and everything went very smooth. I was freaked:dizzy out but my service manager assured me they knew what they were doing and all went well. I was still freaked out as I am a control freak and as I mentioned before a new buyer was involved and I wanted to be sure I was selling a perfect truck - I DO NOT SELL problems...

My truck has ALOT of aftermarket goodies on it so it was even harder than most (powered side steps, HIDs in fog and headlights, airbag lines to rear w/ compressor, etc ) - essentially about 3 hours of extra wiriing.

Took them 2.5 days to complete.:clap:

HUGE thanks to the team at to Fugate Ford in Enumclaw, Washington. After going through all this; I would let them pull my cab off my next new brand new truck before taking delievery with NO hesitation. SERIOUSLY...:) They are very professional, courteous and did one heck of a job with my truck.. Really think they are an incredible dealership that knows WHERE to focus their energy; on positive attitudes and the customers. Thank you guys! If you are ever in the NW and have a Ford that needs help, check them out - the best service I've had yet.

Here are a couple of pics with the cab off. It was an interesting site for sure but not as scary as I thought; Ford definately designed it to do this - I guess all that practice on the older 6.0 cab off issues made them re-think the designs to make them easier and faster...

cab1.jpg

cab2.jpg

and more....

cab3.jpg

cab4.jpg

THEN...

Not but 2 days later... Its alive :clap:

cab5.jpg

My post wasn't a setup; I truly was inquiring to see if anyone else had headgasket issues and what the symptoms or reasoning behind it might have been? This seems to be a fluke and as I dont seem to be a racecar driver and dont tow a ton of weight (towed a 12k 5er maybe 4-5 times with it); just seeing if anyone else experienced similar situations...

Last edited:

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, you cant say that it could never happen, it just doesn't seem as likely as the 6.0s were.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58