6.7 PSD engine/trans mods?

waynebudke

Chris
Reaction score
So where in my great state are you planning to visit. I am the first city on I-95. You will have to stop in and say hello on your way through Jacksonville. We are hauling down to Cedar Key this weekend so I will let everyone know about the trip when I get back

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Since retiring we spent 6 winters in the Paradise of Little Torch Key( Fla Keys 22 miles north of Key West) . The last two years we've wintered on Pine Island KOA (off Ft Myers) One of our best camping pals has an uncle on Cedar Key. Since we leave from our camp site on Patoka Lake near French Lick ,Indiana -We usually head south on I-65 all the way down to I-10,then across to I-75 south to Pine Island. Come on down this winter---we've got a great RV Resort with alot to do,and great people to meet. Have a great time on Cedar Key and a safe journey!

eZAK61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Racingher, Not to be a Johnny come lately here, But did you weigh your trailer? Did you calculate the GVWR on both the 350 & 250?

They maybe rated to tow the same amount But that is not the whole story.

When I did my calcs. (w/o fuel & pass.) I found that I only had about 500#"s extra in the 250 as opposed to about 1800#"s w/ the 350!
I'm towing a 5'er weighing in at 13,000#"s fully loaded.

And No, putting in bags will NOT increase any of your ratings!

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Thanks for the valuable towing info ZaK! Never had a good place to actually weigh my fifthwheel -a Designer dry weight at 11,730 lbs. My old F-350 7.3 (11,500 package) handled the 40' 4" Designer well with Air Bags. The new F-250 is rated with 400HP to tow more (16,300 lbs towing=SuperDuty 2WD SuperCab) than more 2001 F-350 SuperCab 2wd,BUT I know my new F250 (10,000 lb towing package) has one less leaf in the rear springs,but the F250 springs are longer and wider. I will addto the new F250 like I did with the 2001 F350 Air Lift air bags to level things out (A huge towing aid that everyone who tows should add!) MY main concern =Can the new F250 handle the weight--I know it can tow it HP-wise. The Trucks are the same at 158 in wheel base and 2wd. Thanks again ZAK PS: Does anyone know if the new 6.7 PSD SuperCab is lighter than the heavy/iron 7.3 PSD in the same body styles? I think the new 2012 truck/engine combo is lighter??

eZAK61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Racingher, Thanks for the comments.
You can take your Truck & 5'r to any truck stop w/ scales. (Such as I-74, Exit 143 1409 South County Rd. 850 East Greensburg, IN 47240)
*Fully loaded, ready for the road, weigh the whole package then your truck solo.

One point I would like to make is the use of air bags from a warranty stand point. If you overload your truck (GVWR) and something fails, the dealer/Ford will be hard pressed to buy the notion "well I had air bags on it".

The GVWR on a SRW 250 4x2 158"WB is 10,000 lbs w/ max payload at 3750 lbs. A SRW 350 4x2 158"WB is 11,500 lbs w/ max payload at 3990 lbs.
That's 240 lbs. more for pass., fuel, etc. keep in mind that you have to look at the payload cap. when towing a 5'r
Another way to look at it is; say your 5'r ways 13,000 ready for the road. Then figure your king pin is 20%, that's 2600 lbs. Now Add the weight of pass., dogs?, fuel, 5th wheel hitch, tool box, fire wood, beer, etc. Next thing you know your right at or over the GVWR.

Not that your trucks going to fall apart if its over loaded, just that the extra wear and tear might not be covered.

Happy Trucking/Camping!

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
One point I would like to make is the use of air bags from a warranty stand point. If you overload your truck (GVWR) and something fails, the dealer/Ford will be hard pressed to buy the notion "well I had air bags on it".

I have never heard of a warranty claim denied based on weight ratings. The ratings are more of a safety factor than anything else. Just saying :)

eZAK61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of a warranty claim denied based on weight ratings. The ratings are more of a safety factor than anything else. Just saying :)

Roy, I actually knew a fella who had a broken spring and chewed up rear end on a 4 yr old. (long story) His claim was denied due to 'misuse of a improperly loaded vehicle'. Also, speaking of safety, I read in a magazine a few years back. Someone was looking for help b/c they were getting sued from an accident
w/ injuries. It was determined from an on scene investigation that the driver lost control of the vehicle due to an overload condition. The author claimed he was not overloaded and that the road caused the accident. But He or She could offer no proof.

Be that as it may, I have no proof if these stories are an isolated incident or not.

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Once again THANKS for the specific towing/hauling informatione Zak 61! I'll definitely take your advice on weighing my truck and Fifthwheel. I checked on a factory rear leaf to add to my F-250 since that is one of the main differences between the F-350 and F-250. What would adding the extra rear leaf do ,with the Air Lift Bag System?

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Racinghcr, How is your new truck!

eZAK61--- My new Ford F-250 6.7 PSD SuperCab has exceeded every driving test with flying colors and then some. Fuel Mileage, pulling, towing, power, comfort, convenience, styling, technology, toughness with smoothness, -----this new FORD Super Duty has PROVEN WHY Ford has been the Most Popular and BEST SELLING TRUCK on the Planet for over 36 consecutive years!! DRIVE ONE--You will Buy One!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58