6.9L is a canidate for my 4x4 rig. I want more torque-

Huntersbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a 6.9L out of a wrecking yard and overhualing it to run in my Scout for offoroad and daily driver. I will probably run a t-19 with 33 " tires and 3.96:1 gears or close adn cruise around 65 mph. I would like to put on a turbo charger and intercooler off of a 7.3L or a cummins along wigh free flowing dual exaust around 2.5" diameter. I am aiming for atleast 450 ft/lbs from 1000 rpm and be not less than 450 ft/lbs at 3300 rpm. I would hope I could get atleast 13 mpg mix driving and 15 mph highway. Do I need larger injecters to run boost? I am on a budget $1200 max into the motor, I will do all work my self and I am ready to learn to do this stuff. I do not suppose I could get over 500 ft/lbs?

Would I be better off just buying a used cummins turbo?
Also I do not want to mess with alot of sensors and computers if some of thes motors have a lot more than others.

thanks...

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if your going to stay with a mechanical injected IDI engine.
go with a 7.3
93-95( years arent firm to many changes) there were three 7.3 models floating around.
one idi with a factory ats turbo,
psi will limit you to about 12 pounds on an idi but hey its all mechanical with only one elec cutoff to stop you cold if your out wheelin
low end grunt is good
my 92 just ran and ran

Huntersbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think my fathers 2000 powerstroke 7.3L is EFI but you say that the early powerstroke 7.3L were mechanical injection pump. I will look around for some. Now I understand that the 6.9L has thicker cylinder walls, are the thin cylinder walls in a 7.3 an issue?

At my local junk yard I can get any motor in the yard for $280, so all I would be looking at is the cost of repairs. Did all power strokes have 500 ft/lbs of torque?

On dad's he had to get a chip to tweak the injector pump to get more power. How is this done with mechanical injection pump? I understand that you can time it like a distributer; advance and retard injector timing but what is done to get more fuel?

I will try to figure some to this stuff out though research.

thanks a lot!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
the first run 7.3 with turbo were not strokes they were mechanical inj.
the next ones STROKEs had electo hyd inj
280 for a block
plus a rebuild not bad

7.3 were thinner but not that much
very stout engines

mech injec you just turn up teh pump delivery rate you can gain a few hp and lots of smoke or a few hp and light brown exhaust. they are fun to mess with
7.3 and 6.9 both had cavatation issue if coolant ph got out of control, still plagues em now to.

Huntersbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok so I turn the fuel up on the pump, if the larger injectors do not make a huge difference then I will skip them.

As far as performance goes I am looking at truning up the injector pump for more fuel, running a stock turbo and intercooler, free flowing exaust and lots of smoke. Did these things get 500 ft/lbs of torque and 280 hp turned up? That sounds like a good set up to me.

I seem to recall on dad's old 1985 6.9 that he turned up the pump when the thing started to break down to fix it up and he when from 17-19 mpg to 10-12 but had alot of fun with it for a couple of days. The glow plug controller went out and he got tired of it and fixed it one more time and sold it. Bought a 2000 powerstroke- this was in 1999, he bought it in 1988.

I have heard of headers on diesels, i would not think it would make more than about 30 ft/lbs of torque but might be worth it. I would think to attatch the mufflers at the end of the collecters.

Last edited:

Huntersbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would expect a straight six to be easier becaue it is narrower. Areant they efi?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Before you even consider turning up a fuel pump on an IDI get a PYRO or you will regret it.

And on the Cummins conversions, you will be working with a 12valve which is mechanical.

Huntersbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The straight 6s are real stout motors. I guess that it comes down to what I find at the junk yard. I think that the 5.9L cummins and the 7.3 IH make about the same torque.

I probably should buy the tranny that came with the motor since they are all good tranys. The t-19 only cam with the 6.9 I think- do the 6.9 an 7.3 have the same bolt pattern where the bell housing attatches to the enine? The NV4500 is a great tranny from the cummins and I do not think that cummins and Ih trannys are interchangagle--?

I can not go wrong either way.

Huntersbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Over 600 ft/lbs from the cummins form just free flowing exaust, what looks to be a turbo impeller, and better intake- 500 should not be too much then
http://www.bankspower.com/index.cfm

Misc torque numbers
http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm?appid=AD02&sysid=SD03
Here is the output of the IDI

http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm?appid=AF04&sysid=SF10

I think that the Banks IDI is with out tweaking the injector pump- did not say that it did.

Either one looks like a power house!

THe power stroke made the same dyno numbers until the chip came in changing the injector timing perameters and the numbers wre approximatly 680 ft/lbs torque at 1500 rpm and 305 hp at 2700 rpm. I do not expect to get the idi injectors to do that but 500 ft/lbs torque at 1600 rpm and 260 hp at 2700 rpm is alot more than that 302 would make. And with the increased feul economy of 11 under load and better is hard to beat as there are plenty of Broncos with 302 that average 11 driving nice!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58