6 oh discussion

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
So guys, I have a brother in law who is searching for a new truck. He's finding quite a few 6 liters for sale, seemingly in good shape. Me being a 7.3 owner,I don't know all the ins and outs of these motors. What are the most common problems besides head gaskets with these trucks. What would you look for if you were buying again? Thanks in advance

HOTVET67

06 F350 LOADED
Reaction score
I'm still learning , but head gasket don't seem to be a problem on stock 6.0 motors.

1 common problem is owners not reading the owners manual .

Egr valve cleaning should be a service at 30K or less , and ford should give a big discount on all the known updates that could make these trucks trouble free.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would say the EGR Valve also. I drive mine on the freeways a lot, so my EGR stays cleaner than someone who only drives around town. You gotta blow them out by getting on it. Drive it like you stole it! It is more fun also.

Dave

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fully agree with Daveben - I used to idle mine too much and it clogged up the egr valve so after i had it replaced and had the induction cleaning service done to it, i get on it now and then - especially because i make alot of short trips during the week. Very happy with it ;tu

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HG when left stock are not an issue - when it pukes one its usually related to egr cooler failure - can't compress + burn coolant

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Egr cooler can clog up with soot if left idling for long periods of time and boils the coolant - It may crack inside allowing coolant to enter the intake and the combustion chamber and when compression (cant compress and burn coolant) takes place it pushes the head off the motor - Studs may not even help in that case and if they do hold it would probably hydro-lock the motor bending connecting rods or break one and send it through the block.

Last edited:

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's worst case scenerio though - Bulletproof diesel makes an updated cooler that doesn't break - May get one for mine someday...

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
So let me see if I get this right. If a guy services the egr regularly, and blows the cobwebs out once in a while, keeps the motor stock w/no tunes or power building parts, and uses the truck like it's meant to be used(towing, long trips, etc) then it's pretty trouble free? Can you also delete the egr and solve half the problems? Thanks for the replies, I'll pass the info on.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
this sounds like me....its been ~8k on an unplugged egr and was gonna pull it out around 10k to check and clean again.....just to see what it looks like and is doing...i too occasionally put on the lead shoes now and again...i have not had any issues since around 40k and i have 83500 now..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58