6 Pos Chip

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my chip could have caused the fuel pressure reg to go out just by switching from fast idle to normal. I have a 97 350 that just stopped running all of a sudden .It is running again & I would like to put the chip back in, but the last time I tried it the check engine light came on & the w.t.s. light did not. I cleaned the contacts on the PCM ,tried it again & same result. I didn't try again out of concern for causing any damage. I changed the pcm on advice from ford ( a used one) I also damaged the Idm checking the voltage on the pressure reg.All good now , any thoughts? Rick

rtxcoon

She Smokes a little!!!
Reaction score
action4478 said:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my chip could have caused the fuel pressure reg to go out just by switching from fast idle to normal. I have a 97 350 that just stopped running all of a sudden .It is running again & I would like to put the chip back in, but the last time I tried it the check engine light came on & the w.t.s. light did not. I cleaned the contacts on the PCM ,tried it again & same result. I didn't try again out of concern for causing any damage. I changed the pcm on advice from ford ( a used one) I also damaged the Idm checking the voltage on the pressure reg.All good now , any thoughts? Rick

no, you cant hurt the FPR from switching positions on the chip...

sounds like you still have contact issues between the chip and ECM
if your getting CEL and no WTS...did you take the ECM completely out
to clean the contacts? ya gotta get ALL the conformal coating off....

why do you think you damaged the IDM when checking the FPR voltage?
speaking of FPR voltage....where are you trying to measure that, I would like to measure mine too....last time I tried to measure my fuel pressure, I just checked it at the schrader valve on the FPR itself...

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
action4478 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the FPR is controled by voltage, there is however a vaccum switch located there that I believe tells the pcm what kind of inches of Hg the fuel pump is pulling. If I'm not mistaken the FPR is all mechanical as far as how it regulates the fuel pressure.:dunno

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
MUDWHISTLE said:
If I'm not mistaken the FPR is all mechanical as far as how it regulates the fuel pressure.:dunno

That's what I thought.:confused:

Also another thing to consider is if the chip is the right burn for the PCM code.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the wrong term, I was checking for voltage to the fpr with a test light, had to turn off my flashlight to see the test light, touched the wire that looked to be sheilded, only to find it was a bare wire covered with dirt & oil I turned on the light to remove the probe I touched the probe to ground. It popped a maxi fuse & the smoke leaked out down by the fpr. It had power but still no fuel. After replacing the fuse i then had a new code ,IDM. I borrowed an IDM still no fuel. replaced the FPR got fuel pres again. I Checked with the co that programed the chip & was told the 2 PCM's were the same. Rick

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Sounds like the fuel heater connection. I don't know that much about the OBS trucks but I think that's the only electrical wiring going to the filter housing.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
was the maxi fuse #22? if so that is the one for the fuel heater and the idm if that one was knocked out the idm should be alright.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guy's, There is a 2 pin connection on the top of the fuel pressure regulator on the 97 P.S .that is the one I grounded. I had 0 codes before, after the smoke cleared I had 1 that was 18 something, the code def. was bad IDM. Actually was bad . My fault . 1 small slip.:( The FPR was the reason it would not run. All the other collateral damage came from testing. First changed CPS,then PCM, Then IDM, lastly, FPR. Runs fine but I would like to put my chip back in. Thanks ,Rick

Last edited:

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the idm code. (1667 pcm/idm cid circuit failure, cyl identification circuit koeo occ test open/grounded circuit,faulty idm.) Rick

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Can you get a picture of this fpr with wires going to it I'm still wondering what yours looks like I have not seen any wires going into mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14