6 speed clutch questions

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, not some advice on how to keep my truck going another year as a DD till i can retire it to use as a spare vehicle.

Problem is twofold. First off, it has 190K and leaks fuel, oil, or both into the valley and i assume onto my clutch. Its not a bad leak, and i only lose a few qts of oil over 7500 miles, so i'm not looking to get it fixed right now. My clutch must be oil contaminated or just broke because if i let up the pedal just a little bit it slips normally. When i let it up just a little bit more it begins pulsating the power output. Now by the time the pedal is maybe a 3rd of the way up it engages fully with a jerk.
It sucks to drive around like this for the past year so i want to put a new clutch in it. Can i protect my new clutch from all the leaking? I don't want to waste a new clutch.

Second problem is a vibration on the highway. Tires are ruled out because i got new ones and it didn't change. weird thing is, if its really cold the vibration is minor at 70-75, but if its summer it is very major from 65-75. I basically cant break 65 because i think something will break.

Thanks for any thoughts. Its an early 99 6spd 2wd supercab 8ft bed.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what and where is a steering dampner? Are you talking about the shock on the steering linkage? I dont have one of those.

Last edited:

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Vibration/Clutch

Easy fix on the clutch, your going to have to replace it and fix the leaks going down the back side of the bellhousing. Whenever oil or fuel come in contact with clutch/brake material they no longer can perform there job correctly, that's why DOT can down a rig for wheel seals etc. As far as your vibration, check the hanger bearing on the driveshaft with the truck in nuetral with no load on the transmission. if it moves excessively up-down-left-right then its probably seen it's last road trip, there cheap and can be purchased at the local parts store. Just indentify the front axle before calling, Ancor has 2 style bearings for Superduty's. Good luck with the truck.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was hoping to somehow protect the clutch from leaks. Honestly, at 190k if i fix the leak i have and replace the clutch, how long do you think i have before i spring another leak?

Its just not worth fixing if its gonna last 10k and get leaked on again.

I will give that hanger a look and let u know about that. thanks

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Clutch/Leaks

Well you should be able to seal the bellhousing tight enough to keep the fluids from entering and ruining the new clutch, maybe use some anerobic sealant or silicone. Your leaks are probably minor and not that hard to fix. Fuel/water drain valve, HPOP o-rings. turbocharger pedestal o-rings etc. If your spending the money on the clutch its kinda silly not to fix the leaks, only in my opinion though. Well anyway let me know about the hanger bearing.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btween the leaks being minor, the truck being old, and me going back to school so money is tight, it just isn't in the budget or high up on the priority list to keep the truck in like new condition.

I expect this truck doesnt have too many ohio winters left in it so my goal is to get it to the grave when everything catastrophically fails all at once and the frame rots out.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found at least one leak today that has been eluding me. i've always had a small drip that keeps my valley wet but i started spewing oil yesterday. Found the plug on the back of my HPOP was putting out a steady stream. I snugged it up and the leak is gone. I'll degrease the motor/trans and see if thats the only one, but i doubt it is

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14