Question 6L diesel long cranking

butch2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi ,all , question , my 07 6l , has a long crank time in the morning and after it sits a few hours ? runs fine after it starts ? no service lights or anything , just turns over alot before it starts ? any idea's ? thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The fuel injectors are powered by the engine oil and the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP). The pressure slowly bleeds down and this causes the long cranking times that you are seeing, after it sits a while. These trucks need 500 psi at the HPOP to start. Your HPOP maybe starting to leave town.

Dave :)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your HPOP could be leaking down or your starter is not turning the motor fast enough. These truck have to get the motor turning fast enough to get the HPOP up to 500+ psi for the injector to fire up.

Check the batt.'s for CCA they need to be tested one at a time if thats good then check the starter next.
What your mileage?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
there was also a few 07 engines that slipped through with a the qd fittiing on the 6.0 that leak and will cause long er than normal starts.
call ford and give them your vin to check

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
there was also a few 07 engines that slipped through with a the qd fittiing on the 6.0 that leak and will cause long er than normal starts.
call ford and give them your vin to check

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For now just keep an eye on it. If it gets to the point where it leaks down enough to cause extended cranking over a much shorter period of time, say the time it takes to put on fuel, prepare to be sitiing along the road somewhere in the next couple hundred miles. :) trust me I know...

butch2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys , it turns over fast enough it should be idiling ? LOL , so is it hard to change the HPOP ? is there a tech spot on this ? thanks

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could also be a couple other things such as Injector Pressure Regulator(IPR), Injector Control Pressure (ICP) sensor, or a leaking fitting on the HPOP like powerboater said. These are all common problems, for a while Ford was replacing all 3 of these as standard procedure for warranty repair.

I would wait for it to get worse or really act up before tearing into it, but if it comes to it, the HPOP, IPR, or ICP sensor are do-able by yourself with a little time and some mechanical ability. I would figure on a good long day to do it if you haven't been in there before.

Watch this video-part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuTKDPZhMdk part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOM-y_S7QGY SRMASTERTECH's videos on youtube are by far the best step by step guide to 6.0 repairs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58