6L wont start warm

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi guys. i have an 05 f250 having problems starting warm. starts great cold, but if it sits for about ten minutes the damn thing wont start!!!! sometimes after repeated attempts it will sometimes not. let it sit for couple hours it fires right up.

my superchip gave me a code only once for low icp when cranking. changed icp sensor and regulator. no change . thinking its prob not the hpop because it runs great when it does start. any help is greatly appreciated!!

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
turn the choke off :lmao:lmao seriously though i thnk that you are probably on the right track wince it has to have a certain psi for the truck to start icant remember the exact number but like you said it probably has to sit and let the oil drain back down to get enough pressure for it to fire speaking of have you checked your oil level just to make sure?

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing but ford can't fix it under warranty because it won't set off a code. The pressure needed to fire the injectors is 500-725p.s.i. according to the service tech. I thought it could be something to do with a connector inside the HPOP that there is a T.S.B. on but they wouldn't look at that. Hope you can figure out the problem then post the results so I might be able to fix mine. I know of another 6.0 that has done this too.

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil is good. i am very meticulous with my maintenance. however i have been using synthetic 0-40. wondering if i used 15 -40 it is thicher and might help with pressure, however it is winter here and wont be long till i need the 0-40 again.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
HPOP quick disconnect there is a TSB for the techs to troubleshoot to determine if that is the problem.

it makes for some very hard almost battery draining starts one time and then fires right back up the next

once its running the hpop delivers sufficient flow and pressure to overcome the leakage back into the gallery

most techs worth there salt know how to check and test it. but it does take a few hours to repair.
you can guess where the QD is buried

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the replies. i applied air pressure to the hp rail thru icp sensor and could hear a leak. checked pump , powered up the ipr and sure enough the hp fitting on the pump was pissing out air!!! got the upgraded ford part put er in and now it starts great when its warm!!!!!!

i would sugest anyone that thinks theor hpop is dead should first pressure up the hp oil system to make sure there are no leaks!! kit with o rings and new hp fitting was $65 compared to almost $900 for the pump!!! changing the pump would seem to fix the problem, as the new pump will come with the new improved fitting!!

jasonfrenchsr

THE BOSS 6.0
Reaction score
o5 f250 cold start in the morning and missing , spiting blue smoke untill warm even lack of power after warm air is in the cab, takes about ten minutes to run good even better after 15 min. change oil every 4000mils fuel filters twice a yr, unpluged egr , cat delete and muff,delete straight pipe.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
hpop fitting is most likely your problem. just changed mine now it is great!!

Is the icp sensor on the left side down under the air box, steering shaft area? And how much air preesure did you apply to the icp rail? Also what size or thread is the fitting? I might try it myself if I can't talk the dealer into doing it. Mine hasn't done the no start warm thing since the temps have been in the 50's.

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the icp sensor on the left side down under the air box, steering shaft area? And how much air preesure did you apply to the icp rail? Also what size or thread is the fitting? I might try it myself if I can't talk the dealer into doing it. Mine hasn't done the no start warm thing since the temps have been in the 50's.

nope its on passenger valve cover. right beside glow plug controller

100 psi. could hear leak immediately, just hard to pinpoint.

i bought a new icp sensor, so i sacrificed the old one. i cut it off leaving just enough of the hex to tighten with a wrench, then gutted it and drilled a hole so air could flow thru and clamped a small hose on. there will be an air leak from the a hole in the back of the hpop. supplying battery power and ground to the ipr (Injection Pressure Regulator) (for no more than 20 seconds at a time ) on top of hpop should change the sound, as it will block most of the air from leaking out the hole. if it does not change, suspect the ipr.

could also be the top o rings on the injectors where the hp oil rail fits in. remove the valve covers and rails to check all the o rings. both hp oil rails have standoff tubes going thru the rails, thru the heads into the hp oil lines in the block. remove the standoff tubes and check all those o rings. the standoffs are under the large shiny allen head plugs, at the rear of the hp rails. the standoffs are 2 pcs, so pull them apart and check all the o rings.

after i checked all the o rings, i put the standoffs back in , plugged off one with hose and clamps and pressured up the other one. could hear air coming from deep inside block. removed turbo , ipr (need a special socket- 1&3/8 deep thin wall with one flat cut out for electrical connector or a crows foot)and hpop cover. inspect ipr o rings, replace ipr, power it up and check the hp fitting for leaks at the swivel/ o ring area. this is where mine was. most people that change the pump fix the problem, only because the new pump will come with the new fitting which was the problem in the first place!!

ambient temp should not be a factor if it is a leak. only oil temp and viscosity. cold oil is thicker, so it does not leak as readily, which is why it starts better cold. if the problem has stopped, i would suspect icp sensor, ipr or possibly wiring.

there is a ford tsb on the hpop hp fitting, which your dealer should have.

this is a big job, not to be undertaken unless you have the tools and lots of time on your hands.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58