6spd fluid

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Ok all you lever lifters out there, I'm curious about what atf your using in the zf six speed, I just had mine rebuilt:doh: and I am looking for something a little more tolerant to high temps. Synthetic would be nice, and ford wants an arm and a leg for their "mercon" fluid. Also whats the opinion on using mixed dexron/mercon fluid with a lucas additive? I use Lucas in the pete for everything, from gear boxes to ps fluid and it seems to hold up well. Any thoughts?

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a price from Mad Jack Racing, (one of our sponsors), on the Amsoil synthetic for in my 6 speed. Was around $75 for a 2 1/2 gallon jug. That will fill the transmission and the transfer case. I don't remember the Amsoil name for the fluid though. :dunno I need to do some more reasearch on this to, because the service on mine is due.

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mad Jack hooked me up with full synthetic ATF for good prices. I purchased the 2.5 gallon jug and did the transmission and transfer case and have been very pleased with the AMSOIL product.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Mercon is available anywhere.
For a bolt action, you could even use Dex II or a multi-vehicle ATF.

Synthetic? If it blows your skirt up, go for it.
I did mine bumper to bumper in synthetics trying to gain fuel economy over a year ago..

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
My big issue I guess, is that "some" of the manuals say that maybe you can't use muti application fluids(dexron/mercon), they never say yes you can, or no you can't. But I've heard from the transmission guys that you have to use the special mercon for manuals available only from ford. seems like a way for ford to make some extra money on us by scaring us into believing this. I'm fairly new to this particular manual trans, and I was wondering if anyone has varied from ford specs with fluid. Sounds like several of you have been using synthetics for a while, are they just multi apps atfs? I like redline stuff, i've used their products in the past, and amsoil gets a lot of talk on here. let me know if it is special synthetic for just this trans, or if it is just regular synthetic atf please. Thanks for all the info guys

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the amsoil synthetic that these guys are referencing is a multi spec synthetic ATF.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg