Help Needed 7.3 Bad Injectors? Glow Plugs? Relay? All of the above?

CLBurell

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
7.3 only mods are intake and exhaust

Truck has gotten worse over the last few years and now will not start at all since it has dropped below 40deg here. Last year would only start during winter if I kept it plugged up overnight.

Over the last month it has been running pretty rough on startup and if I do not let it get up to full operating temp before driving away, it will start puffing black smoke within the first mile and die. Usually dies heading up a hill near my house as soon the transmission changes gears. It will start back up after cranking it for 30-40 seconds.

My thoughts are several bad injectors and glow plugs, but just wanted to get some other opinions. Also are there any good writeups anywhere on replacing injectors/glow plugs.

JRJ04

Reaction score
What year is your truck? How many miles? Fill out your sig so we know a little more about your rig.

When is the last time you have changed your oil and filters (mainly fuel filter)? If it gets up to operating temp and things are ok, I would not think your injectors are bad. Glow plugs could be a likely case. Depending on how many miles you have, you might be due for injector o-ring replacement.

CLBurell

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2000 F250 with 172K miles

Oil and Filter are due for a change

Fuel filter was replaced around 150k when I had a leak from the orings from the purge valve I replaced the filter.

JRJ04

Reaction score
I would change it all again. A bad batch of fuel can ruin a filter quick. Change everything out and then lets go from there.

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 did the same thing , wouldn't start unless plugged in and if it did happen to start it would surge really bad then die , put new glow plugs in , fixed her right up .

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
did the Intake Air Temp sensor get put back on when the intake was replaced?

xtrahappy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, May I suggest glo-plug relay. And battery check. Worked for me..
Yall keep up good work love reading all the post. Thanks

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
X2, make sure the glow plug relay is working before tearing off the valve covers.

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
Can those get clogged, I think I just zip tied mine up next to my dyi intake

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg