7.3 coolant

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the dif between green and gold?

also is it best to use straight coolant then add water, sounds like it may be in my best interest to add a coolant filter inline?

With the Gold, the SCA, as an additive, isn't required. Supposedly.. the inhibitor.. is in the chemical make-up of the Gold, verses the Green. I didn't added it to mine. I Tow a lot, in all kinds of Hot/Cold weather.. all over the country. Never have had a coolant related issue, in over 100K miles. (JMO but I think ALOT of the cavitation/hot spot issues are related to the amount of Crap (casting sand & scale) that circulates thru these (any) engines.. from the factory. It migrates, collects in bad places.. and causes the problems)

I'd HIGHLY recommend a Coolant Filter.

I put in the Straight Gold.. topped it off with water. as it purged.. I added a 50/50 mix to bring it up the "Full Hot" mark. I use the 50/50 when & if I need to add any.

Joe

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanx everyone for all the help, i got the additive and test strips today, will either drain the radiator or possibly get it flushed this week ,will look into getting the filter also. i have a friend who installed one in his truck last year, he could probably help me with it.

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Quick question, what should the test strips read? gives percent of glycol and PPM of nitrites. what are the norm for these readings?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question, what should the test strips read? gives percent of glycol and PPM of nitrites. what are the norm for these readings?

The strips I use are from Fleet guard (for green coolant). They have 3 readings based on color after a dip in the coolant: freezepoint (glycol), molybdate, and nitrite. You guess the best color for the last two, and there is a table of values for which you score either "test", "service" or "pre-charge". Usually, when I test I end up in "service" and add a pint of the additive. About every 10-15k or so. And you need 3 or 4 pints if you have flushed the system.

The strips come with a table with the scores. In the table cells are numbers ranging from around 1 to 6, and they are SCA units/gallon. If you are over about 3.1 you are ok; otherwise, add the SCA additive.

What strips are you using?

dieseltech1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
green coolant is ok for older engines as a pm helper add a pint of dca once a year and change coolant every 4-5 years you can pick up dca at any truck dealership

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14