7.3 Fuel Milage, reliability, 2001

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 01 SD almost 2 years and love it, except when I fill up....
I have replaced the following: left front wheel bearing, both front brake rotors, front and rear brake pads, and the UVC harness, all are normal wear items that would have to be replaced with any vehicle if you drive it.
If you decide to get the truck go ahead and get a DP Tuner for it, don't waste you time and money on anything else. I keep mine in the 80 hp econo mode except then I tow with the 60 hp tow mode.
Like most SD's mine gets around 14-18 mpg, I have gotten 19 once or twice but not with ulsd.
But, 20K does seem on the high side...

schmuly

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
But, 20K does seem on the high side...

I agree 20k is a little high, I bought my 02, Super cab, long box, PSD 4X4, Lariat, with towing package (that was never used), for 10.5k last Oct. It does have more miles on it but I get 17.5 mpg town/highway driving. The lot that I bought from wanted 16.9k for it, but wouldn't go down to 9.5k. The owner said they only made 500 bucks off of it at 10.5k. I am happy with it
hope this helps Colin:innocent

Last edited:

Podge

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for everyone's help !.. yeah, the truck was listed at over $23k. The KBB lists it at $22k+ in perfect condition. I'm about 3K negiative equity in my trade in truck, so I don't know how much i have to haggle with.

nothing worse than haggling with a dealer !!.. i usually get my vehicles on the A plan, and it's about as easy as you can get. This F-150 i have now is the first truck i've bought used. It was a pain to get worked out at the dealer.

After all I've been reading on this forum and on others, is that I could logically expect around 20 MPG highway, and about 17 around town in a 2001 f-250. Most of my driving with my F-150 is town, and i get about 16.5 MPG That's 90% of the time. My GVWR is 15,000 for the truck I have now, I'm at 14,520 on the scales for my max trailer load. I take this load/trailer about 8 times a year, at an average of 400-800 mile round trip. It gets scary sometimes pulling that load with that truck, and it would make logical sense to buy a powerstroke, but I can't make it a wash in costs with diesel costs. (gas here is about $3.35-$3.55 with diesel holding steady at $4.09) I'm having more of a hard time justifiying the economics of it right now, which makes it hard to sell the idea to Mrs. Podge. I will eventually end up with a diesel, but it's not looking too good for me in the very near future.

But until then, I really like this forum, seems like a good group of guys and wealth of info. so I'll lurk around here until i get a powerstroke. Maybe even ask some more dumb questions. :dunno This should increase my knowledge of diesels.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I really like this forum, seems like a good group of guys and wealth of info. so I'll lurk around here until i get a powerstroke. Maybe even ask some more dumb questions. :dunno This should increase my knowledge of diesels.

Keep hanging with us, we'll try to lend a hand and answer questions as we can. You'll find the right truck soon enough.

sockethead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hi i`ve got an 01 f250 luv it i get between 15-18 have got as high
as 20 on the highway.
i`ve only got 28000 mikes on it no problems cept the oil pan about to
rust away they must be made of recycled chinese tuna cans

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Mine is an 02 with 370,000 and i get 19-20 on hwy and 16 in city with a heavy foot. She does inhale and exhale alot better than a stock PSD.

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could get the kind of mileage you guys are getting. I get 12 MPG hand calculated. City/HWY doesn't matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58