FYI 7.3 Fuel Pressure Regulator O rings..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... started to see a drop in normal fuel pressure (shimmed @ 70 psi) at idle... and a very slight surging at cruising speeds, empty & towing. While towing, seemed to be down on power, on my last 5r pull too.

Took the Fuel Pressure Regulator apart and found ALL the O rings had begun to degrade. The main culprit was the O ring on the FPR sleeve.. it had a small piece missing and had split.. it basically disintagrated when I removed it from the sleeve.

Got a FPR rebuild kit from Ford.. PN# F81Z-9B249-BB*.

All is Well.

Now Granted.. Nothing lasts forever..the FPR parts were OEM with 175K on them. I'm a 2 cycle oil user too.. BUT.. the failure(s) could still be due to ULSC #2 diesel fuel, and it's lack of lubrication issues ? Over time, and miles ? The 7.3 is an "Older" engine ?

Jus' Thought I'd Share.

Joe

* the new spring was 1/4" longer than my OE one.. gave me 100 psi !! I used the old one, shimmed.. then.. all was well @ 70 psi.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are up and running again. ULSC #2 diesel fuel, yep not telling what all this crap is doing to our trucks.
Doug

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear Joe! I did the fpr rebuild last winter w/around 125k and that o-ring was pretty rough then, as were the compression sleeves...so I'd say you did real good for 12y and all those gallons of fuel!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I did mine when I broke the neck of the return fitting off when I was shimming the regulator spring..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu I guess what I was bringing up is.. If you've got some miles & years on the clock.. you might R&R the FRP pieces'n parts, with a rebuild kit.. A 50 buck kit is better than Dealer/Shop labor costs.. for chaseing an unknown power Gremlin ?

Might even be a PM "Thing To Do".. @ 150K or so, or X years ??? With, or without a Fuel Pressure gauge.

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg