FYI 7.3 Letdown @3AM /11 Degrees F

Chuckster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Recently had my 7.3 breakdown @ 3 Am in 11 degree cold weather. Engine shutdown like someone reached over and shut the key off. Truck had been plugged in the night before and had been running like a top for 30 minutes prior. In my ultimate wisdom I got under the truck and changed out the CPS to no avail. Had to get truck towed to local Ford truck repair shop after I could no longer feel my fingertips. Turns out the heater in the fuel filter bowl shorted out and blew the ECM fuse. Truck is an early 99 (May98) and has 150k on the clock. Hope this info helps out someone else in the future.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Last edited:

Chuckster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions... Truck already fixed... had to pay $ for repairs... currently out of town for work...my hands were tied!!

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it just goes to show no matter if its a 7.3/6.0/ or 6.4 they are all still a piece of machinery in which can fail at times.

Last edited:

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Well said 6.0PSD777

That sums up all negative aspects of all engines on the road presently, past and future, diesel or gas. I'm a firm believer that engineering obsolescence is a part of life now a days cause if you build them too strong and reliable then you run the risk of never having the consumer replace it.....

:clap::clap:

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the heater doesnt do a thing about gellin..keeping good clean treated fuel in the tank is the key..we get 20 bellow 0 for weeks on end alot around here and i have yet to gell..i have no fuel heater..not even a fuel bowl..my 10 micron filter before the pump and the 2 micron filter after the pump are both down on the fraim rail where it gets no heat at all..the tractor trailer i drive and most tractor trailers dont have heaters in them ether..

if you think you really need a heater..Bob has a new and improved heater here for a good price..
Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya