New Member 7.3 litre International motor

tomcatin63

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
About a year ago my brothers and I purchased two used F-350 pickups. One was equipped with the 7.3 litre motor 2002. The other was a 2004 with the 6.0 litre am driving the one with the 7.3 litre motor Both trucks have about200,000 miles. I was wondering how the 7.3 holds up, in other words, if taken good care of how many miles have you guys seen these engines run up to. I grew up with International Harvester trucks and think that they were some of the best mid ranged heavy duty trucks ever built. I also heard good things about the 7.3, that it was rated as one of the top 10 diesel engines ever built. But is it like a Cummins, where the engine just keeps running and running and running etc. Several years ago we sold a friend a Dodge D2500 with an inline six cylinder Cummins. When we sold it had over 280,000 miles and the guy is still driving it. Are the 7.3s long runners or do they require more frequent overhauls. The trucks we bought were well maintained and were salesmen highway miles. I was was wondering whats the most amount of miles you have heard the 7.3 litre getting before an overhaul? Or averaging? Have they been known to go 500,000? Thanks, Tom:)

bobkat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I own a 02' 7.3 and what I have viewed on the site here it's not unuasual to get 400,000 to 500,000 miles out these 7.3 motors like you have said.Good luck with yours and welcome to the site.

tomcatin63

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks bobkat for the info. I am not too familiar with the Ford diesels but have heard some good things. Spent most of my Sunday compounding the 2002 in the shop. It was a lot of work but it really brought the paint job back to life. It came out really nice.
Thanks again for the quick response bobkat. best of luck with your truck also.
Sincerely, Tom

tomcatin63

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Alex, I joined this site in the hopes of learning a little bit about the particular motor package I have in my 2002 F-350 shortbed. Me and my brothers have three powerstrokes in all and really like the power they deliver. We had diesels in the late 80s and early 90s in the Dodge D350s. I loved the motor for efficiency, but did not care too much for the dodge cabs. I also had several diesel rabbit cars, remembering the times that I could basically drive around for practically free. Those were the days:) My main concern is that I learn as much as possible from SDD so I can try and avoid any major preventable breakdowns. thanks for the welcome Alex,
Sincerely Tom

tomcatin63

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin for the warm welcome and everyone else in the SDD forum. I have been reading some posts and I am already learning a little about the 7.3. I see there are alot of you who have aftermarket add ons. Are the chips safe to use on the 7.3 to boost horsepower. I think I remember reading that the 7.3s have 275 horse at 2800 rpm. What can safely be expected from an aftermarket chip without worrying about blowing up motor or trans?

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a TWildman chip on my 02 from 100k miles on and never had any serious issue other than the tranny @around 160K miles, at that time I had the tranny built overkill and cured the problem for good. I never had any motor problems what-so-ever. It had almost 230K miles when I got rid of it. I didn't drive it easy either. Weekend truck pulls all summer, also at the drag strip from time to time, etc...

Cheers, Patrick.

tomcatin63

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Patrickc for the positive reinforcement. My engine has never been modified and was fleet maintained by previous owner. The engine itself sounds strong:) I replaced both batteries with 100cc amp batteries and it started right up (of course using the glow plugs twice) in twenty degree weather. I drove this truck on several trips for previous owner. Three from Phila. to Lexington Kentucky, One from Phila. to somewhere in central Arkansas, (man what a cruise that was!) and finally one trip up to Portsmouth Maine. I was trailering chippers,stumpgrinders,one Rayco forestry unit, and believe it or not one portable trommel screener. That truck pulled it like there was nothing on the back end, except when you tried to stop real quick (LOL). And yes of course I had trailer brakes but you know what I mean. haha. I have a lot of service items to go over on the truck just to be sure she is good to go but were used to doing most of it ourselves in the slower winter months. Other than that I feel really good about the truck and drivetrain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14