7.3 milege dropping

big315

Big315
Reaction score
Just changed my oil and went to Tampa. I got about 15 mpg. That is down for my Ex 7.3 PSD. I use Royal Purple and have a K & N air filter. I might have gotten hold of some bad diesel but I change the fuel filter pretty often. Can anybody give any suggustions?

Thanks,
John

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Many will say you will get 1-3 mpg better with a chip if you keep your foot out of it. Could be that the removal of the chip hurt you a bit. Bad fuel is a possibility also.
Jim

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
JimmyDee said:
Many will say you will get 1-3 mpg better with a chip if you keep your foot out of it. Could be that the removal of the chip hurt you a bit. Bad fuel is a possibility also.
Jim

12.5-13 MPG without chip.

15.94 MPG with chip.

with a 6.5" lift and 37" tires.

Get an econo tuned chip or re-programmed PCM. (DP Tuner)

Tom

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
All good advice guys, but his mileage is dropping for some reason. Unless his mileage dropped only after removal of the chip? Maybe the SD guys can chime in here too, does the FPR screen get clogged and dirty on the fuel filter canister like it does on the older PSD engines? I know that mileage can and will drop off if that is the case.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
big315 said:
Just changed my oil and went to Tampa. I got about 15 mpg. That is down for my Ex 7.3 PSD. I use Royal Purple and have a K & N air filter. I might have gotten hold of some bad diesel but I change the fuel filter pretty often. Can anybody give any suggustions?

Thanks,
John
Welcome to SDD big315! Great to have you aboard :thumbs

I've always gotten the best freeway mileage by maintaining the RPM's at 2,000 or under.Around town the shift points I keep in the 1,500-1,750 RPM range for best results.

You have intentions of opening up the intake more and upgrading the exhaust as those two alone will hold our beasts back quite abit.

There's other low cost/free tunes and tweaks you can do to get better MPG's :sweet

Bill :cowboy:

bad_bad_bubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Big315 :)

Lets try this a different way....

Big, What kind of milage were you getting before?
Was the drop sudden or over time?
Did you notice the truck running, feeling, or sounding different?
What events could have or did happen just prior to noticing the drop in mpg?
(this would include chip removal, trans fix, filter change, oil change, new tires, ect..)

I think with the answers to these questions we might be a little more help in solving the problem.

DR.billZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You check your tire pressure lately? Maybe it's dropped. I run 65-70.

big315

Big315
Reaction score
I have gone to a bigger tire, 2857516, looks great. I was getting 17 before. I have 135,000+ miles on it, and I need all the low cost options I can get my hands on. Football season is here and I am going to see my son play. When his high school takes a road trip, usually it is at least 3+ hours.

Car_nut57

Reaction score
big315 said:
I have gone to a bigger tire, 2857516, looks great. I was getting 17 before. I have 135,000+ miles on it, and I need all the low cost options I can get my hands on. Football season is here and I am going to see my son play. When his high school takes a road trip, usually it is at least 3+ hours.
You might check fuel pressure.
I picked up a bad load of fuel some time ago and it killed the mileage and performance because it fouled the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pressure was low as well as fluctuating all over the place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58