Question 7.3 sounds like somebody hitting it with a hammer is this injector knock

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay im sure somebody has something on this because i think i read about it 5 or 6 years ago, my wifes 01 excursion (138K miles) sounds like somebody is hitting it with a hammer on the block when its at idle, this goes away once it clears about 900 rpm, maybe a little sooner. Anyhow i am looking for the fix to this but cant remember what it was. I thought it was a bad injector but before i do that i wanted to shoot this out and see what i might be missing. Thanks in advance for the feedback and help.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad injector. Any other symptoms? power loss, more smoke than normal? Oil leaks? getting air into hpop system when not running? might just try changing fuel filters, and making sure its not a fuel pressure issue. last injector i had replaced was over 800 bucks w/labor. dont blame you not wanting to jump right into it!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Hook a scanner or something capable of doing an injector contribution test. Run the test, it'll turn off each injector one at a time. If the noise goes away momentarily, you've confirmed a bad injector as well as which one it is.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks to all, it has no leaks and has no other signs of any problems, fuel mileage is still good and it runs strong, it does idle a little funny, maybe a little more rough than when we first got it, but i have been driving my 6.0 and it is way quieter than her 7.3. Anyway i am taking it to a shop on Monday to get checked out. Thanks again. I dont see the Thanked Tab anymore here on the new forum so i"ll just say it,

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay i took it to the shop and they said everything was okay and that the noise is normal so im back to driving it like nomal and im out 115.00 but at least i know.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The design of the 6.0 is MUCH quieter than the 7.3. I had an IDI 7.3 that was loud and bought my 6.0 because it was so quiet.

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay i took it to the shop and they said everything was okay and that the noise is normal so im back to driving it like nomal and im out 115.00 but at least i know.

Nothing in yer Sig about Mods on yer 01.. but if you replace the fuel pump [inlet] QD fitting with a piece of fuel hose ($10) and.. install a cross over oil line ($60) between the oil rails.. doing this will quiet down (cackle) these 7.3's considerably by reducing Air in the fuel, and Equalizing the oil pressure required, to "Pop" the injectors.

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
not to be a bummer or anything, but it could be the clutch in the torque convertor is busted.. mine had a hammering noise it made from the first day I had it until I had the trans rebuilt..

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a little more info on these procedures would be appreciated, i get the concept from your post but dont understand the (what to the what) comment, if you could guide me some more i will look into doing this. And also as far as mods go it has a 4" exhaust and an edge tune for 50 more Horse power, other than that it is stock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58