7.3 Stalling in the rain?

melrich

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I need some help on solving this problem. I have a 2001 F250 Superduty 7.3 4X4 with 99,000 it stalls a lot when I'm driving in the rain. This makes the wife very upset, it seems to do this at stop lights, then starts right back up. It hasn't set any check engine light on the dash. I have done the service work to this truck, like oil and filter, fuel filter, service transmission with a shift kit and fluid change.

catdsltech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'll second the cps, my '97 did that in dry weather. Had my old boss check it out and he said I was lucky it was still driveable.

Jared

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
melrich said:
I need some help on solving this problem. I have a 2001 F250 Superduty 7.3 4X4 with 99,000 it stalls a lot when I'm driving in the rain. This makes the wife very upset, it seems to do this at stop lights, then starts right back up. It hasn't set any check engine light on the dash. I have done the service work to this truck, like oil and filter, fuel filter, service transmission with a shift kit and fluid change.
Ahhh, ye old "my 7.3 is stalling in the rain" problem. This is not new, and I would not think it is your CPS. I recall that there are several threads "over there" discussing this at length. IIRC, a seal in the windsheild area leaks, and allows water to run down over the IPR (I think???) or some other electrical device, causing stalling. I will take a look over there and see if I can find you a link... Or just plagarize the best response... :D

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
The consensus is that you probably have a windsheild leak. Check down around your PCM in both the engine compartment and under the dash and see if it is wet. If so, we have found your problem. This is not uncommon.

Anyway, let us know what you find...

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be one of a few things, or even a combination.

1. CPS: Not unheard of for the CPS to fail in wet/raining conditions. We think it has something to do with either connector corrosion, or water cooling the CPS off as it hits it. Either way, the CPS is on its way out.

2. Water leak from windshield. This runs down the A-pillar and drips right onto the PCM and GEM modules.

3. Water leak from Cab Lights. Again, this runs down the A-pillar and causes PCM/GEM problems.

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
how does one fix the ye ole windshield leak, I think I might know someone who my be victim to this plague ye mentions.

melrich

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Is there a way to fix the water leak? The inside of the cab is dry, so it must run down the inside of engine compartment? Can I turn a garden hose loose under the hood to check it out or will I be creating a bigger problem. Thanks

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Man thats a good one Hoss
It is not actually that uncommon to see this problem over on TDS. I cannot take credit for this other than having remebered seeing it over there. As far as diagnosing the problem or fixing it, :dunno

Fixing it seems relatively easy once you find the leak. Caulk it up. But finding it (or even if it is a leak iside the engine compartment or inside the cab) is something I cannot necessarily help with. It is not an uncommon occurence, it happens once a month or so over on TDS. As much as I hate to do it, I can only direct the poster over there to run some searches (I cannot, don't have time) and see what others have done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14