7.3 starting problem

old ford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New to the forum looking for help. 2001 F250 7.3, 120k miles, When I try to start it in the morning it will crank over but not start. Cranks like a gas engine when you unhook the coil wire. Tried to start it 5 or 6 times ...finally started, when it started no smoking issue. Started just like it always has since new. That was last week...Today it did the same thing...but when it started it blew grey smoke. Truck runs perfect after it starts. Any one have any ideas? truck has been babied since new, I do all my own maintenance...has never been in the shop.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Batteries, HPOP pressure (which needs to get high enough for the injectors), CPS, ? A few places to start with...
Have you checked the codes for any clues?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO SDD !!!! ;tu;tu

@ 15 Years old, 120,000 Miles.... Off the Top... I'd say: Check yer Battery connections, Test the Glow Plugs & GP relay... for starters.

Did you do the CPS recall ?

Do you plug it in when it's cold out ?

The Grey smoke was hopefully just un-burnt fuel from long, repeated cranking.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your batteries need to be in great shape. These engines take a lot of power when cranking in the cold with the glow plug heaters going. Are your batteries in GREAT SHAPE?

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they said, Welcome to SDD.com, sure glad to have you here.
Doug

old ford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all that replied. It doesn't get very cold where I am in Washington. I'm right on the coast on the Olympic peninsula at sea level. Its hardly ever below 30 so I never plug it in unless I'm up in the mountains when its cold. The couple mornings it did this it was 40 to 45 degrees. Battery connections are completely clean and coated with anti corrosion stuff. Batteries are 3 years old...but I will take them down to napa tomorrow after work and have them load checked. The CPS recall was performed by the dealership as soon as I received the recall notice in the mail...don't remember how long ago that was...probably around 2007 or 2008. Have not checked the computer for codes...not sure if my superchip tuner is also a code reader (its been so long since I have looked at it) I'll pull it out and check tomorrow. Thought about checking the GP and GP relay...I will play around with that this weekend. RSG...what is that HPOP pressure you are talking about? I will definitely start with the batteries Tomorrow! Thanks again for all the idea's.:sweet:sweet:sweet

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(HPOP pressure) High Pressure Oil Pump, plug it in over night or 3 hours before you go to start it and see if it starts any faster that day. Let us know.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HPOP psi needs to build to 500 during cranking to start... to "pop" the injectors. And try what Doug said about plug'n it in too.

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm going to lean another way on this.. and I think the biggest clue might be the lack of smoke on the first time it failed to start.
I had an issue with mine doing something similar some years back, and it ended up being the fuel pump relay. I would have someone else cycle the key several times, and once I felt the "whoosh" of fuel going through the pump, it would start normally.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58