7.3 Stroker shut off on the way home tonight????

Lifted_Stroker

Cummins eater
Reaction score
I was on my way home tonight when my trusty powerstroke shut off on me while I was going down the road at about 60 mph? The truck shut off and the service engine soon light came on, I tried to start it again but no luck. so I called bob at diesel site, he asked me to crank it over and see if the tach needle would move, he said if it didn`t move that it was the cam sensor. Well the needle moved so that wasnt it, about 20 mins later it started right up like nothing was wrong. I started home and about 5 mins later the rpms dropped to 1000 came back and dropped back to 1000 and came back then the service engine soon light came on, when it bobbled it belched black smoke. My buddy hooked his scanner up to it but it didnt wanna read it due to fact that it was diesel. He said that its possibly the crank sensor, i ve had 2 other people tell me this. what do you diesel experts think? i would like to know before i spend 70 bucks an hr at the dealership. thanks.:dunno

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Sounds just like when my CPS went out. Mine died at speed with no warning, then would start 15-30 minutes later and run for about a minute and die again.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
do not spend $70 an hour at the dealer.its only one 10MM bolt and a plug to change it.go buy a sensor and replace it yourself.only problem is the dealler is gonna rape ou for the sensor.if you have an international dealer near you get the sensor there as it will be half the price of ford.

This applies to all PowerStroke motors from late 1994 to 2002.

Diagnosis: A bad cam position sensor is usually signified by the PowerStroke motor abruptly and unexpectedly quitting. The motor may also be suffering from slight power loss and slight increase in fuel usage which is usually not noticeable until it is seen as an improvement when the sensor is replaced. When the CPS causes the motor to shut down, the tachometer will not register. If the motor fails to restart, the tachometer will not register when the starter is turning the motor over. This may or may not cause the check engine light to come on.

Part Numbers: The International parts are usually half the price of Ford's, and I wouldn't buy one from Ford unless you absolutely had to.

International part numbers:

A change occurred mid way through 1997, so if you have a 97 it is best to look at the engine serial number. For serial number before serial number 375549 use PN# 1821720C98. For serial number 375549 (including this number) and after use PN# 1825899C93.

Ford Part Numbers:

For 1996 and older use PN# F6T012K073A For 1997 and newer use PN# F7T012K073A

Remove/Replace: CPS replacement is a very simple process. It is located at the 10 o'clock position of the crankshaft pulley and secured with one 10 mm bolt. Removing the serpentine belt will facilitate the removal.

Step 1) Make sure key is off and disconnect battery or pull #9 fuse. This is always a good idea when working on engine electronics.
Step 2) Remove engine belt
Step 3) Unplug wiring plug from sensor by prying out on the little plastic tab and pushing it out of it's socket
Step 4) Use 10 mm socket with small extension to remove 10 mm bolt
Step 5) Clean any dirt or grease off of sensor and surrounding area to prevent contamination of crankcase oil and seal of new sensor
Step 6) Use pliers, pry bar, or whatever else to gently remove sensor by pulling it straight out. It may be slightly stuck and slight force may be needed to loosen it. It is ok to twist it in its socket to loosen it if necessary.
Step 7) Coat new sensor o-ring with clean engine oil and press sensor into hole.
Step 8) Replace 10 mm bolt, torque to 10 ft-lbs, or just make sure it is snug.
Step 9) Replace wiring plug by simply pressing it into position until you hear the holding tab click into place.
Step 10) Replace belt.
Step 11) Ensure battery has been disconnected or #9 fuse has been out for at least 30 minutes. After this amount of time, they can be replaced.
Step 12) Start engine and inspect for leaks or other problems. Make sure belt has been properly aligned on each of the pulleys.

oil_burner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my cps took a crap the same way on a dark country road at 12am last fall with no cell service . it was long walk (now have extra in glovebox) .Now if i can only figure out how to get an extra tranny in that glove box we could be doing something

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother experienced the same thing Wednesday afternoon. He is now cruising on my spare CPS.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
bartman said:
My brother experienced the same thing Wednesday afternoon. He is now cruising on my spare CPS.

Make him get his own spare:eek: Why isn't he on this board, I need someone else to pick on:D

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Make him get his own spare:eek: Why isn't he on this board, I need someone else to pick on:D

He will have his own spare now that he knows the value of having one. He has no internet connection at home, and he does not have access to one at work, so he hasn't signed up because he'd get no use out of it. Feel free to make fun of him the next time you see him.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14