7.3 vs. 6.0

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
is there a big difference, i know the 6.0 makes more power and better fuel economy but is that it? how about strength and reliability. transmission reliability? i was talking to a guy awhile ago who was talking about having problems with his trans not handling the power he was making, but i forget which motor he had.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ANY tranny-torque convertor combo has a design limitation - i.e. a "magic" number that if you generate that much HP and torque on a consistent basis it will create problems for ya....

No matter what engine, mfg, etc....

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to put the juice with attitude on mine but I don't want to lose the warranty.

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
janders said:
I would love to put the juice with attitude on mine but I don't want to lose the warranty.

This is interesting...particularly the last part which I highlighted in red.

Q: WILL INSTALLING THE FORD JUICE VOID MY FACTORY WARRANTY?
A:
While the answer is straightforward from a legal standpoint, we also want to
educate our customers (and after-market consumers) on some industry realities
and offer some common sense precautions to minimize your risk.
Consumers of aftermarket products are protected by The Federal Magnusson-
Moss Warranty Act. The Act states that if something breaks on your car and you
take it in for warranty repair, the dealer must honor your warranty unless they can
prove that whatever modifications you have added to your car actually caused
the problem.
While as a consumer you have strong legal protection regarding your vehicle’s
warranty, there is also a practical reality that different automotive manufacturers
and dealers have greatly varying views on aftermarket products, in particular
those that produce horsepower, such as performance enhancement chips,
modified intake manifolds, or aftermarket exhaust systems. There are dealers
and manufacturers out there that will use the presence of a horsepower upgrade
to void your vehicle’s warranty. They will do this regardless of whose product you
are using. Any aftermarket company that does not acknowledge this is
misleading you.
The bottom line is that while the law protects the consumer and provides for
enforcement of the warranty, it is very difficult for most people to hire an attorney and fight a voided warranty. Edge recommends that you always disconnect and/or remove any performance device or programmer before you take your vehicle to a dealer for any service, in order not to interfere with
Diagnostic equipment.
;tu :innocent

Reaction score
Shaggy said:
is there a big difference, i know the 6.0 makes more power and better fuel economy but is that it? how about strength and reliability. transmission reliability? i was talking to a guy awhile ago who was talking about having problems with his trans not handling the power he was making, but i forget which motor he had.

I currently have 40K miles on my 06. It's been on drugs since 27 miles - just long enough for me to get it home. I have the same transmission it came with. In my previous truck - an 01 with the 7.3 - by 40K I was installing my fourth transmission (a suncoast). The first three transmissions all went out while the truck was stock - no chip no nothing.

Ron

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
I currently have 40K miles on my 06. It's been on drugs since 27 miles - just long enough for me to get it home. I have the same transmission it came with. In my previous truck - an 01 with the 7.3 - by 40K I was installing my fourth transmission (a suncoast). The first three transmissions all went out while the truck was stock - no chip no nothing.

Ron
ouch, not making me feel good about my purchase lol. but didnt you say theres nothing wrong with the 01's in my introduction thread? this would seem to be maybe a slight concearn at the least lol.

is that a common problem with the 7.3 trans? how much power can the motor handle? has anyone safely put alot of power through the trans without any major problems? im not looking to make my truck a beast but i would like alittle extra power. how many guys on here have decently modded 7.3's?

Tennessee Titan

Eddie Henson
Reaction score
is that a common problem with the 7.3 trans? how much power can the motor handle? has anyone safely put alot of power through the trans without any major problems? im not looking to make my truck a beast but i would like alittle extra power. how many guys on here have decently modded 7.3's?
The tranny and T/C are the weak link in the 7.3 PSD. But that is not to say you can't mod your truck. If you want to help the tranny out, install a Sonnax/Tricumulator kit or an FTVB to help firm up the shifts, as well as a external tranny filter and cooler if planning on doing a lot of towing. As for the motor handling power, it has its limits as well. You could hook up a Edge or Diablo or any other of the programmers or a mild chip and be o.k as long as you had a good intake and exhaust setup and some gauges to monitor the EGT,Boost,and tranny temps. Anyway, that is my :2c . Hope this helps.:thumbs

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
thanks alot guys! this has gotta be one the most informative and to the point forums ive been on.

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
Shaggy, I just did the powerpack on my 7.3, 00 X with 94K. Major difference of almost 100 more pony's and torque on the low end is now awesome! It also came with the transcommand which gives the tranny better shift points and lockup for longevity. Banks tied the whole system together electronically so the tranny now works with engine and adapts to usage accordingly, towing vs regular driving etc.. Personally and not that I want to just yet, but once my tranny does go the guys here have great insight on bulletproof trany's so I already know what my next one will be!

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I was very very aprehensive about giving up my 7.3

but now i am happy cause it tows the load with no burps, farts or tranny slippin issues, slipped once and that was once to many towing 14k up a mountain....

but i do miss the driving with the tuner loaded in for bear..........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58