Help Needed 7.3 wont start

ranson3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I replaced my starter about six months ago so I'm sure it's fine. Lately when I turn the key to the on position everything lights up and I can hear the glow plugs but when I go to crank it nothing happens. I was able to move the key back and forth a few times and then it would kick in. I replaced the ignition switch and still nothing. Checked the fuses...seem okay. Any ideas? Seems like an electical problem or relay but Im not sure where to start

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I replaced my starter about six months ago so I'm sure it's fine. Lately when I turn the key to the on position everything lights up and I can hear the glow plugs but when I go to crank it nothing happens. I was able to move the key back and forth a few times and then it would kick in. I replaced the ignition switch and still nothing. Checked the fuses...seem okay. Any ideas? Seems like an electical problem or relay but Im not sure where to start

WELCOME too SDD ;tu

Clean yer battery cable connections REAL good.. try that ?

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Check the connections to the starter solenoid. Sounds like the IGN wire to the solenoid is not making good contact.

Dave

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember the battery cables that are carroded at the battery also have another end that is hooked up to something and can corrode just as badly. CLEAN BOTH ENDS AND THE METAL THAT THEY CONTACT WITH. Its just as important.

Cowboyboots

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem a few months ago, i would first check all the battery cables for corrosion. then check your hook up on your starter for good connections.

ranson3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips but unfortunately I cleaned all the terminals really well on both ends...twice. It only seems to do it when it's cold outside. When the truck is warm it starts fine. One guy told me he had the same problem and it ended up being a temp sensor on the transmission. Does this sound reasonable?

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
Some times mine won't start like that but it cuz my column shifter is loose in side, try shifting out of park to neutral, it may, maynot work?

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips but unfortunately I cleaned all the terminals really well on both ends...twice. It only seems to do it when it's cold outside. When the truck is warm it starts fine. One guy told me he had the same problem and it ended up being a temp sensor on the transmission. Does this sound reasonable?

Trans sensor sounds questionable, to me. Do you use the Block heater ??

Are ALL the glow plugs working ? (you can hear the GP relay kick in, but that doesn't necessarily mean.. All 8 are working)

Might also try cycling the GP a couple 3 times ??

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14