7.3L getting poor gas milage

ajchuck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just bought this 7.3L after I traded in my Duramax. For some reason I have gone 79 miles on 1/4 of a tank of diesel. Is this normal? If not any ideas what is wrong?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Could be a variety of things in my opinion but I'm sure others can chime in with their suggestions.

Fuel Quality
Fuel Pressure
Fuel Filter condition
Oil quality or type being used
Rear differential gearing
Air intake filter condition
Stock exhaust system is a restriction
Boost tube/boot leak
Driver operating habits(foot in the floor)
Oversized tires/out of balance/round
Brake pads hanging up
Wheel alignment

ajchuck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well as I was reading other posts I noticed part of the problem is using the ULSD. I will try to use the B10 that is at my local truck stop next time. I work for the dealership I got it from and they changed the air filter last week or a little more ago. They also put on brand new tires that are the recommended ones that the truck calls for(looks like roller skate tires to me after leaving the BF All Terrain's). I am not sure if the Fuel Filter has been changed and I am not sure about the exhaust as I just got the truck last night.

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to try the B10 or see if you can get some #2 in the tank. Try that out for a while and see if the mileage gets better. That's the cheapest way to do it. There are some different oils that can also help. Some are pretty costly but its worth a shot if the fuel doesn't cut it. Then after all of that, it might be time to look at opening up the exhaust and a few other things that cost money. And last, a tuner for the PCM. These can help out alot and also give you more power at the same time.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
well, first of all, don't call it on one tank of fuel.

BUT:

use bio or a quart of TCW3 two-stroke oil with each tank of ULSD. You need to replace the lubricative properties of the sulphur that's not in the fuel.

and probably run a cetane booster as well. Power Service grey bottle, etc.

ajchuck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I seem to only be able to fine the ULSD and the B10 around here. I will try the B10 next time. The truck is currently at best buy to get a security, remote start, and keyless entry system put in.

ajchuck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok after the first tank of ULSD I got 16 which is not bad. Any ideas on how to make that better?

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Ok after the first tank of ULSD I got 16 which is not bad. Any ideas on how to make that better?
Less pressure on the go pedal. Not trying to be funny here but if you want better than the 16, keeping the RPM at less than 2000 will help a lot.
Jim

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
dont know what to tell you but i get near 500 miles to a tank in my and i have a heavy foot:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl