7.3l vs 6.0l motor witch is better??

mxrider39

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello to all, I am new to this sight. I currently have a 6.0l chevy gas and I am looking at getting a diesel and I want a ford. I am going to be pulling a 36ft 5th wheel toy hauler. I was wanting thoughts on witch motor would be better to get, and after I get it I want to chip and do all the fun things to the motor. I have heard that the 6.0l has had problems. Any help that you could give me would be great.

Thanks

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.0 vs 7.3

The 7.3 was available from 94 to 03. The 'newer version' is in the 99 to early 03 250/350. The 6.0 is in the 250/350 from late 03 to present. Many may say to shy away from the early 6.0's. I don't know much about pulling heavy with these trucks, but someone with more experience will chime in later. It mostly comes down to how much you have to spend on the truck. With the size of trailer you will be pulling, you will most likely want to go with the 350 DRW. There are many options out there are far as programmers/chips and numerous upgrades for both engines.

Good luck.

fgtex

Last edited:

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
i love my 7.3, and im sure if ya talk to a 6.0er theyll tell you the same thing... both are great motor, some people have problem with the 6.0 but most people on this site that have em never had problems and love em....... take a look through the old 6.0 and 7.3 threads...

mxrider39

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
PM????? Thanks for the input so far. I just want to make a good choice I can not aford new but the price range I am looking at seems that I have a choice of the motor just depends on the truck. Any thoughts on if one motor would have better pulling power over the other???? What about the trany is there things I should look for or know??????

Last edited:

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
Really it comes down to price and preference. Yes the 6.0 fairs a bit better in the torque and hp arenas with lower RPMs. And the 7.3 is a bit cheaper to repair after that 100K warranty is up, as well as cheaper aftermarket upgrades and products avail in large quantities. It's your money, but I would go with the engine that suits your billfold, if you can handle the initial cost of a 6.0 then go with that, if you pocket has legs then go with the 7.3. that way when you upgrade/repair your engine parts you can add a few nifty gadets, at a cheaper cost. IF you do buy a 7.3, you might want to come on back and get some good pointers before you buy. There are some horror stories around here but don't let that scare you, with a little TLC and patience, you'll have a reliable set of wheels and be a proud owner of an oil burner.

Welcome to the site and good luck on your hunt.
E

budtoh3zo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned just about ever motor the 6.9 the 7.3PSD both old and new and the 6.0L The 6.9 is my fav. But the 6.0L is better then the 7.3 to me. I have had no problems so far. Lots more power little worse fuel economy though.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mxrider39 said:
PM = Private Message. In the upper RH corner of the page below the "Welcome Mxrider39", you'll see it. Click on it to read your message.

I've had a 2002 7.3 PSD for four years as of 8/17. It is within 200 miles of 100,000 and has been a great truck. Have had oil and fuel filter changed regularly and now currently burning B20 biodiesel that's sponsored by Willie Nelson (BioWillie). I get 1-2 mpg better mileage with the bio. Last tank was 17 mpg in combo city/highway driving. From what I've read on this site, if you want a 6.0, you're better off with a 2005 or 2006. I've also heard the same story from a former large Ford dealer in this area (Jerry Reynolds, formerly of Prestige Ford in Garland, TX who also has an automotive talk show). He hasn't had too many good things to say about the '03's and '04's, but really likes the '05's and '06's.

Good luck in your search. Maybe you're starting to believe that it's better "To Push A Ford Than Drive A Chevy"? :D

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
mxrider39 said:
I am going to be pulling a 36ft 5th wheel toy hauler.
Thanks
I'd go gooseneck myself... 5th wheels are only rated at like 10k, gn's are 12.5 to 15k lbs

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am happy as can be with my 6.0L, my bro-in-law has a F350 srw with a 7.3L, and has 130000 on the clock and we put a water pump on it around 115000 so it is not giving any problems. mine has 36500 miles on it with no worries...and both us drive 'em like rentals:burnit

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58