7.3L vs gas motors

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont generally pull anything, maybe atv trailer s or a camper. I would aim for another 2wd since I dont go off road. I just want it to be a peppy street truck I can put car parts, home supplies,etc in.

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont generally pull anything, maybe atv trailer s or a camper. I would aim for another 2wd since I dont go off road. I just want it to be a peppy street truck I can put car parts, home supplies,etc in.

4X4 isn't just for off road. I haven't gone off road but I do appreciate my 4X4 capability. Just pulled a guy out of the ditch for cash. A few years ago, I got a lap dance from a stripper for pulling her car out although it was a bit damaged from the impact.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I live in cleveland and would appreciate the 4x4 in the snow. I just don't want to pay for the decreased MPG's and repairs of the 4x4 axle all year around. It just isn't a good trade when I can throw 600lbs of sand in the back and get where I'm going. There is the occasional blizzard I can't navigate, but generally I'm OK.

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I live in cleveland and would appreciate the 4x4 in the snow. I just don't want to pay for the decreased MPG's and repairs of the 4x4 axle all year around. It just isn't a good trade when I can throw 600lbs of sand in the back and get where I'm going. There is the occasional blizzard I can't navigate, but generally I'm OK.

How much mileage do you lose with 4X4 if you only engage it when needed?

I have only had to repair my 4X4 once. When some drunk hit me and broke the case. No real problems except take the hubs out once in a while and lube them, change transfer case fluid and front fluid when necessary.

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's not a lot but every bit helps, and I like the prices on those 2wd's.

POP up's for now

I'm not convinced that it is significant enough to be meaningful in the long term. I agree there is some savings but will that make up for later resale? Somehow I get the feeling that 2WD is cheaper because it is less desirable. That might make it harder to sell in the future.

And that is the problem. What happens when a pop up isn't good enough and you want to haul more?

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a question for you.

Will you be able to even trade or will you have to come out with cash?

IF you have to come up with cash, figure it with interest to see how much it will cost as though you financed the deal. Now decide if that extra money will save you at the pump.

This is like a lot of people ditching their trucks after Katrina to save a few bucks. Well, they do. Problem is that they save a few bucks at the pump and lower the sticker shock but now they have a new car payment. Will you use it enough to justify the lower sticker shock at the pump?

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, i agree. You have to drive a looong way to justify mpg's. I figured it once (and I'm not saying this is totally accurate) that if I got 40 mpg vs 20 mpg I wouldn't save a 1000 dollars in 10k miles if gas was 3 bucks a gallon.

But also, if i buy a cheaper truck and later i sell that cheaper truck then I'm even. and i never have to fix/maintain 4x4 parts, i get slightly better mpg, and when i pull the trans i don't have to mess with 4x4 parts.

I don't need 4x4 so why pay for it.

I guess my big question (since longetivity seems to be reasonable on the gassers) is are they any fun to drive or are they dogs?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg