7.3L water pump rebuild?

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever rebuild the water pump on their 7.3? I replaced mine last week and the dealer didn't want the old one back. Looks easy enough to rebuild, so I thought a spare would be nice to have. I've rebuilt quite a few waterpumps from other diesel engines. Just need a little help finding the parts for this one. Thanks.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever rebuild the water pump on their 7.3? I replaced mine last week and the dealer didn't want the old one back. Looks easy enough to rebuild, so I thought a spare would be nice to have. I've rebuilt quite a few waterpumps from other diesel engines. Just need a little help finding the parts for this one. Thanks.

I've never rebuilt a 7.3 W/P but I'd betcha IH would have the Pieces & Parts ?

Joe

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted Stroker, That would a damm fine bit of info to have. For me atleast.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
What is there to a rebuild assuming the impeller is good, a couple of seals and a bearing? If you get it apart you should be able to cross reference to Timken numbers.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've never rebuilt a 7.3 W/P but I'd betcha IH would have the Pieces & Parts ?

Joe

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I heard somewhere that Ford uses a different water pump and t-stat than IH.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I heard somewhere that Ford uses a different water pump and t-stat than IH.

I've heard the same thing TG, but my local IH shop sez: If it's On one of their engines.. They either Have the parts.. or have a direct source for them.

Cheaper than [most] FORD dealer/parts.. is always is my think'n.:dunno

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called the local IH truck shop today. Turns out TG was right, Ford uses a different water pump than IH. The only listings they have for the Ford version in a complete water pump and a water pump gasket. No parts. Since it's basically scrap at this point, maybe I'll tear it apart when I get a chance and see what there is as far as bearings and seals. All the water pumps I ever rebuilt had special bearings and unitized seals. Maybe by some chance I can match something up from another application. :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14