7 pin wire diagram trailer connector

dovewood

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello and help please. I backed into a pier and destroyed the seven pin trailer connector. I bought a new connector but can't find the wiring diagram for a 2001 F250 super duty diesel. Trial and error is just producing errors and I need to connect my fifth wheel so that I can hit the road soon. Would someone help me out with a wiring diagram for the connector?
Thank you:hail

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
forget colors.....get a test light or volt meter, and one by one figure out what the wires do. turn the left blinker on and find the wire that blinks the test light, that wire goes to pin 5. do the same for right blinker, reverse, brakes, and markers. if you have an electric brake controller, you will need someone to activate the brakes manually (the slide) and that wire will then be live, however it could be dim with a test light or show an erratic reading on the volt meter because it is pulse modulated. the battery wire will be hot, or perhaps only when the ignition is on. the ground will be the last wire assuming you have the other 6 isolated, or you could find the ground wire with a continuity test with the voltmeter.

good luck.

dovewood

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thank you

Thank you Zookie400. Yours is the winning answer :hail.
I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
Dovewood

godofdew11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only problem is there will be 2 wires that appear to do nothing, ground and #7 auxilariy, however just try using either of them as your ground point for your meter or test light and and the one that works is the ground and the last rei is #7.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno While you are re-wiring the truck 7 pin, it might be a good time to power up the [seldom] used Center pin ?

I ran 10 gauge wire from the starter solenoid, thru a switch in the Cab, then along the driver side frame rail to the Center pin on/in the receptacle.

In the 5r pigtail junction box, (if your Center pin is unused) you will find a 10 gauge Pigtail wire that's unused. I ran more 10ga wire to the back end of the 5r and hooked up 2 Halogen, Utility lights (Wally World) that I use as Back-up lights.

One of the BEST Dang Mods I did to our 5r. SUPER when arriving at night. Lights up the World behind you.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Starting from the top. (notch facing up) Going clock wise.

1 O Trailer batt feed.
2 DG Trailer right turn/stop
3 DB Trailer electric brake
4 W Ground
5 Y Trailer left turn/stop
6 BR/W Trailer running lights
7 (center pin) BK/LG Trailer back up lights.

Have fun.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14