70,000 mile on Biodiesel 7.3 report

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Well the 97 just turned 200,000 last week.
I have well over 70,000 on 100% homemade Biodiesel, about 9 months of the year due to weather, other 3 months we blend with pump fuel, dead of winter 30% bio, on either side of dead of winter, 75% BD.
I just replaced my 3rd fuel pump due to leakage.
I am convinced now that the BD is getting to the seal between the top half and the bottom half. No big deal, the pump is like 118 bucks a little pain to change but the savings in fuel far out weigh the pump and time to change it cost.
In addition, other things I have learned.
Change the stock o rings on the FPR to the brown ones.
DO NOT LET BD Leak in you engine bay. If you get a leak fix it NOW. It will eat all the wiring period.
Last year I replaced the stock short fuel lines on top of the engine due to them turning sticky. Classic signs of Biodiesel eating away at them. For 25 bucks I had the hyd shop make replacements out of a new hose that Parker has on the market marked low permeation, it was hard to find and took 2 weeks to get a short but now it is more available, I bought enough to do the entire truck including my aux tank, have not had time to change all the hoses yet. the ones they made for me are still dry as a bone one year later.
All in all, over the long run, a little bit of maintenance over regular diesel but well worth it in the savings, well worth it!
I still plan to pull the injectors this fall due to the 200,000 and replace the o rings. No outward signs this needs to be done, just a preventive thing.
Being able to get a visual on the injectors will really tell the story.
Make quality Biodiesel an you shall be rewarded!
Rick H...

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Change the stock o rings on the FPR to the brown ones.

You mean every green one besides the -015 (FPR to bowl) and two -202 (fuel bowl drain lever)? What are their sizes? :dunno

Congrats on 200K. ;tu I rolled over 300K this week so by my standards yours has not yet been broken in. :lmao

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
You mean every green one besides the -015 (FPR to bowl) and two -202 (fuel bowl drain lever)? What are their sizes? :dunno

Congrats on 200K. ;tu I rolled over 300K this week so by my standards yours has not yet been broken in. :lmao

Truck won't last another 100,000, engine might but truck wont!
Do not know the sizes, I just take what O need to the o ring store (yes we have one that just sells o rings) and they give me what I want.
Rick H...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58