#8 CYLINDER

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the most economical mod that can de done to increase fuel to the #8 cylinder. besides getting a FASS. i plan on shimming the fpr to 70lbs this weekend

dpantazis

Reaction score
you do not NEED a new regulated return to deal with the #8 injector issues.

first and foremost, do you KNOW you have a problem with the #8 injector? if not, don't worry about it.

the biggest issue with the #8 is near idle cackle caused by air in the fuel system. sounds like an engine knock. do you have cackle?

best thing to do is keep your tank above 1/4 full at ALL times. air bubbles in the fuel are bad enough, but with a deadheaded fuel delivery system like on these trucks. there is a return fuel mixing valve in the tank that is the biggest culprit. next is the QD fuel line fittings that can suck air.

do the Hutch Mod to eliminate the duckbilled air mixing valve in the tank pickup. Most vendors refer to as in tank fuel delivery mods. They all stole the design from Hutch.

Then if you still have not licked it, go to the modified regulated return which changes the fuel delivery system to flow through instead of dead head.

dennis

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
there is a long nozzle injector availble from Ford to correct the cackling condition..

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
JLDickmon said:
there is a long nozzle injector availble from Ford to correct the cackling condition..

Are you talking about the long-lead or "AE" code injector? It has nothing to do with the nozzle, the pilot shot is a little longer to try and help with the idle knock issue, Ford's poor fix after Texas Towncar pointed out the problem with the dead-end stock fuel system to them. There was also a programming change to go along with the LL #8 which started to come out somewhere in 2000. The longer pilot shot won't help the fact that the adjacent cylinder(#6) has used most of the fuel in the rail, then compound that with aerated fuel from being at the end of the circuit on that rail.

The OBS don't have a dead-end system, I have no clue why they went backwards on the SD's.:dunno

dpantazis

Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
The OBS don't have a dead-end system, I have no clue why they went backwards on the SD's.:dunno

lower cost of production. even pennies shaved equate to real money when applied over hundreds of thousands of units produced.

iirc- Texas Town Car did a good analysis and comparisons of the two fuel systems. we all sure do miss him on the boards.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
dpantazis said:
lower cost of production. even pennies shaved equate to real money when applied over hundreds of thousands of units produced.

Then it cost them more money on the R&R of the #8 on those that went to the dealership to get the "cackle fix" done.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
Then it cost them more money on the R&R of the #8 on those that went to the dealership to get the "cackle fix" done.

Only problem with that logic is only 1 out of every 10000 came in with a complant... I have a LL... Its goin bye bye when I get injectors!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg