Help Needed 92 F250 diesel hasn't been started in years...

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just tried posting this and it didn't work..let's try it again. I was just given a 91-93 F250 and it hasn't been started in three years. It was driven from Indiana to Florida hauling a loaded horse trailer and once it got to FL she just bought a smaller truck. The truck has been tried at about a year ago with fresh batteries and all it does is turn over and over. It was on E when it was driven in and most likely the fuel is garbage, is there any additive to combine with some fresh fuel to aid the starting process? What's th e best way to get her running again?
Thanks guys,
Jesse

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
yup. bleed out the old with a open line then close it up and fill er up. then try and bleed the air out. of course after new filters.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You have a mechanical fuel pump, so turning on the key won't help. You can crack the lines to an injector or two to get fresh fuel flowing. I would drain and refill the fuel tank, change the fuel filter, then crack each fuel line going to each injector. This will get fresh fuel to the injectors. Start it and let it warm up. It will run rough until you crack each fuel to the injector lines; all eight. If it still runs rough and driving won't cure it. Re-man injectors will be necessary. They are cheap to get re-maned. Any diesel mechanic should be able to do this. Good Luck!

Dave

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crack each fuel line going to the injector and then crank it for a little while to flush bad fuel from each injector, or do I just crack it without cranking it?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you're going to need to crank it..
it has a mechanical pump

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did 4-5 10 second starting bursts and never got any fuel pressure to the bleed valve on the fuel filter boss. It just turns over and over. Should I be hearing a priming pump when I turn the key on...because I'm not. Where do I go from here in the diagnosis stage? Fuel tank is half full, filter is full of Diesel Kleen. New batteries and starter, turning over plenty fast.
Want to get it running tonight!
Thanks guys,
Jesse

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You don't understand a mechanical fuel pump. That means that it will not make any noise unless it is cranking. The pump is run off the cam or crankshaft and when they turn, the fuel pump also turns. No fuel usually means a bad pump, which I would believe after sitting all those years. Get a new one and keep cranking untill you get all of the air out of the filter, then bleed the injector lines. Good luck...

Dave

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I understand a mechanical pump, that's why I asked if there was a priming pump in-tank or on the framerail. Turned out I just needed to crank it a little more to bleed the air from before the filter, bleed the injectors and it fired right up. Now I have some leaking injectors so it looks like I'm in the market for some o-rings. They are leaking from just below the return fitting on each injector, not from the nut fitting.
Thanks guys,
Jesse

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58