Help Needed 94.5 Coolant Leak - Rear Of Motor

wils2527

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys I've got another coolant leak again coming from the good old early Powerstroke. I just got done replacing the oil cooler seals about a month ago, and now this leak started to happen. I have found coolant on the oil pan, but no luck in terms of finding the leak.

I have read online that sometimes it is freeze plugs? I even read about a cracked block? Where should I start looking on the back of the motor?

The valley at the top is dry from coolant. I was thinking I should pressure test it again and see if I can try and trace the leak, but I was wondering where I should look.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's not leaking from the cooler and/or front/rear headers for the cooler, look at the freeze plugs and block drains. The cracked blocks were from a short run of 96 models, so that shouldn't be your problem. I guess you could also check the areas where the heads meet the block. Cheers!

wils2527

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help Patrick. Just one more question for you before I head off and pressure test everything this week, are the freeze plugs visible without taking the transmission off?

I have no problem unbolting and dropping the transmission, but I'm just curious if I should do that first or not.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You do NOT need to remove the tranny to see the freeze plugs. They are located on the SIDES of the block, about midway between the pan and the heads. If you look just above the starter, you will see the Block Heater in the right hand, rear most freeze plug location. There are three more on that side, one for each cylinder.

Dave :)

wils2527

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you Dave for your input. I did a quick pressure test last night as I was taking the garbage out and I had a pool of coolant on the back side of the motor. I won't have time until Friday to mess around with it but I will let you know about the freeze plugs.

Also the coolant is coming from the driver's side of the motor above the block heater. Does that change anything when looking at the freeze plugs?

wils2527

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok I guess I'm a little confused so I'll just ask this: I realize that the starter is on the passenger side of the motor and the block heater/oil filter is on the driver's side. You are saying that there are freeze plugs on both the sides of the block?

I'm sorry for asking such stupid questions, but I just don't want to do twice as much work if it doesn't need to be done.

wils2527

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got it. Thank you again for your help. I will let you all know what I find out on Friday. I'll try and take some photos to post also.

wils2527

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok so you guys can make fun of me now. So I began to pull the drive lines out of the transfer case. Starting un-bolting everything from beneath the transmission when I thought to myself "maybe I should pressure test it one more time."

So I stopped what I was doing and pressure tested the system. Suddenly I saw right in front of me the water pump crying. I was supper upset with myself. But nonetheless thankful.

So I got a new water pump on the truck this weekend and re-pressure tested the system. I still have a small leak from the water pump. Should I RTV around the water pump and put it back on? Or is there another trick?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58