95 superduty reg cab body towtruck 7.3 turbo

knarfy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
187000 miles. just quit working. finished a tow and sounded like a fuel cut off. no sputter miss or what ever you may call it. a bit of background, past month or two its been smoking at start up, one big white puff, then a bit at the exhaust, white, no sweet smell , maybe un-used fuel? some use of coolant about 1/2 gallon every few tankfulls. no visible leak. about two weeks ago had a mil on , scaned and got if i remember (p0107) i think it was ebp or bph vavle ,exhaust back preasure valve? so today i changed the fuel filter drained the canister , nothing. then a diesel guy stopped by and said my oil seemed a bit thin and he thinks there is some type of sensor maybe preasure on the oil, i was due a change anyway so did that and nothing, i also scaned and got (p1111) no codes. it did start a couple of times and cut off same way, just quickly no sputter or miss... im lost HELP!!

knarfy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dont know "CPS''.... presure switch? on the injector pump? the diesel guy said something about a magnet operated valve....

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont know "CPS''.... presure switch? on the injector pump? the diesel guy said something about a magnet operated valve....

Cam Position Sensor. It's located at the 10 o'clock position, near the crankshaft pulley. There's a Ford recall on it.

knarfy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
been thinking... cam position sensor? if i remember i changed one out about 5 or 6 months ago, but symptoms were diff and i got a mil. i didnt mention that it did start a few times for couple seconds and quit same way.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been thinking... cam position sensor? if i remember i changed one out about 5 or 6 months ago, but symptoms were diff and i got a mil. i didnt mention that it did start a few times for couple seconds and quit same way.

The way it quit and the way it starts.. then quits sounds like a bad CPS. Check the pin plug on the CPS.

But it could be fuel related too. Clean filter ? Good Batterys ? Clean Batt connections.

What do you mean by a "mil" ?

Last edited:

knarfy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i will chk the conector again tomorow, is there a test on that cps? mil malfuntion indicator light-( may be a vw term) my car is a golf tdi. i should chk the air filter while im at it, batterys are good and crank fast. i did add some diesel additive... silver plastic bottle i think "power service" thanks for the ideas , hope this does it, will post again results. ty!!

knarfy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
here I go again... replaced the sensor , nothing. we checked alldata and ran several tests. one i had to disconnect the computer on firewall and chk ohms on 5 connector pins. nothing found. after we put everything back together it started!! then stopped, what we found is that while moving the harness it would start and while running it would stop.. went back to alldata and it had one last test. disconnect comp and sensor chk for voltage on green wire. we got a reading where there should be none. so we are going to cut green wire at both ends and splice new one.

knarfy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
this morning i checked for voltage on green wire again and got a big fat zero... ??? who knows, truck started right up and i have no codes or anything when scanned, so thanks for you help. TY!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14