Question 96 7.3 coolant smell...........?

akgramps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Lately I have started to notice a anti freeze smell when my truck is running or just shut off. Today when I parked in the garage I walked back sniffed the exhaust pipe (after I shut it off LOL), anyway it seems as if the coolant smell is at the ehaust pipe.........!

Any ideas?

The truck has 175K on the clock, I have put on 100K of those miles on the truck, no coolant leaks, yes I do add some occasionally, but nothing that I would call abnormal.

I have added the Ford coolant additive yearly............

Is this a common issue? something I should be concerned with?

dpantazis

Reaction score
check your water pump and lower radiator hose. look for the weep hole at 6 o'clock on the pump.

7.3's RARELY have head gasket issues. it happens, but not often.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
check your water pump and lower radiator hose. look for the weep hole at 6 o'clock on the pump.

7.3's RARELY have head gasket issues. it happens, but not often.

it would be more likely to crack an injector cup..
than head gasket, that is...

dpantazis

Reaction score
injector cup: i did not think of that. aside from pulling each one out, i do not think so.

did you check your oil? any signs of oil droplets in the coolant in the degass bottle? it could also be the oil cooler that has rusted and sprung a pinhole or the orings gone bad and you might be pushing coolant in from there. can you get 'combustible gas detector' kit or test run on your truck?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58