96 f250 questions???

Downey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so im looking at a 96 f250 with 163k on it with a 7.3L

what do i need to look for when i go look at this truck and drive it?

other than exhaust and intake what other mods should i look at for this year to make more hp and tq?

i have been reading that people have a 6 position tuner like the banks tuner but its not a banks tuner. who makes them? how are they changing tunes on the fly?

thanks

cam

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think it has a max towing capacity. Or maybe we shouldn't have maxed out the leaf springs as many times as we did with ours lol. We've pulled several LARGE loads all over the south east with maxed out leaf springs....got 640,000 miles and still going.

I have a TS 6 pos chip, but if I knew then...what I know now....I would have gotten a custom tuned chip by DP or Tony Wildman. But gauges, intake, and 4" turbo back exhaust should come first. And from my experience, DONT change on the fly. Make sure you are in park (or neutral??). I've changed on the fly a couple of times and it made my truck cut out, then the accelerator was sluggish. It is easier to change tunes with a chip vs a programmer. But some people just dont like having the hardware.

Need to listen to the engine....see if its ideling funny. Wouldn't hurt to get the injectors tested. How's the steering? I would drive it like I stole it. Also check the fluid levels.

Downey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so your ts isnt 6 custom tunes or can i get it in 6 custom tunes? that i can change?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ts chips are a flip position chip that you can change driving down the road. tony wildman at total diesel performance is who programmed mine. Jody tipton @ DP Tuner is another good alternative.

Given that you have stock injectors the 6 position is more than enough, I run around 99% of the time in economy with a knock to towing when I have something heavier than 6k hooked up, or the max power setting when I'm playing.

Before you get a chip get gauges, minimum of pyro & boost, trans temp is required if it's an automatic.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so your ts isnt 6 custom tunes or can i get it in 6 custom tunes? that i can change?

No....I have the true TS tunes. I'm going to send it off (eventually) to have Tony to reprogram it for $150. If you dont have a chip already, you can just buy one from him for $300. I've seen the sodtware one time for burning your own chips. Only part of the name IIRC is "Phoenix". If you are wanting to do you own programming, there is one on ebay I see a lot...think its called Sniper Tuning software. Never heard of anyone using it so I've never went after it. Tony will reburn your chip for free with proof of purchase.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14