96 PSD tranny problems

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing a load today and lost my first gear and reverse. Fluid does not appear burnt and was still registering on the stick although it's hard to tell much on that stupid dipstick. Obvious signs of fluid leaking all over the undercarriage so I added 2 quarts and still no change. Couldn't tell where it was leaking out of between the fluid sprayed everywhere and the rainwater dripping off of it all.

Whole tranny was rebuilt a year ago incl. a new HD TC. It also has the transgo tugger kit in it.

OD light flashed logging in a overheat error on the computer but that doesn't help explain the loss of first gear or reverse.

Headed into the shop tommorow but then they close until the 4th!

Any ideas that would help us trouble shoot it and get me back to work would be gratefully appreciated.

Brad

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a something like a solenoid in the tranny as to why it don't have first and reverse, not sure as to why its puking fluid - My buddy at work is having problems with the one in his 97 Powerstroke - When it warms up it won't shift right - He's looking for a 5 speed to put in it...

Last edited:

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine shifts fine still. Just starts out in second gear and doesn't have reverse which is very inconveinent to say the least.

I hope it's something simple.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Last edited:

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They mentioned something about it maybe being the accumulator today. Still working on it tommorrow.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
not super familar with the specific guttings of either transmission, but..like Trackspeeder said, the low/reverse clutch has a busted give-a-dam.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14