Question 97 350 auto trans shift lag when warm

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flow testing of the pump is accomplished by pulling the line off of the transmission headed to the cooler, 1/2 quart in 30 seconds at idle.

The easiest place to make the disconnect is at the flex hoses that are in the engine compartment down on the frame rail.

The tube that connects to the front of the trans is the supply and the one on the rear is the return, you can test either but be aware of what you pull so you'll know weather it has been through the cooler stack or not, (the coolers may be plugged restricting flow)

to test the line pressure you'll need a pressure gauge that'll connect to the pressure port on the driver's side of the transmission 1/8" NPT, it will have a square plug in it from the factory most likely, toward the front of the transmission, I've attached the line pressure specs.

Jaxmike

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Flow test ok

Flow test 1/2 quart in less than 15 seconds after cooler. No apparent obstructions. Took it to shop-- still no codes. Getting quoted $1300 best case scenario to $1900 for full rebuild at American Transmission here in Jacksonville. Took a tour of the facility, spotless and very busy with everything from antique Impala to trucks to sports cars. I am thinking I will change the speed sensor on rear end, mainly because its so cheap and easy and also after reading threads the SS seems to do some funny things. Hail Mary pass, still waiting to hear that I just need to change fluid. Ha Ha. Thoughts anyone? Thanks

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are they including in the 1900 for a full rebuild? are they including the torque converter, even if it is still good now it is best to put one in now to save pulling the transmission down the road.

the SS could be a culprit. Sadly with the years these trucks have on them the time is also a killer not to mention the miles on the rubber seals in the transmission. The trans shop should pull the valve body off and air test the transmission which will likely reveal a leaking seal or two. Which means that you'll need to rebuild the transmission or at least all of the soft parts in there anyway.

Jaxmike

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The full rebuild is $2000, which includes torque converter, all the soft parts and any valves or "anything" necessary. The SS on the rear end did not affect anything. I have also shot an email to BTS for comparison sake. The current ability of the stock transmission was fine (until it started acting up) for the way I use the vehical. Pretty much drives me around to job sites, no hauling other than our camper on occasion. BTS may be more than I really need.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair price for a stock rebuild, I'd ask them if they would put in a shift kit for you while they are doing the work if you provide them with the parts. If they will then I'd order a transgo tugger HD2 kit Here's a vendor and just have them leave the plate with no enlarged holes. This alone will dramatically improve the life of the transmission.

Jaxmike

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks

Fair price for a stock rebuild, I'd ask them if they would put in a shift kit for you while they are doing the work if you provide them with the parts. If they will then I'd order a transgo tugger HD2 kit Here's a vendor and just have them leave the plate with no enlarged holes. This alone will dramatically improve the life of the transmission.

Will follow up, thanks again for good information. I'm learnin alot here!!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58