97 7.3 will not start

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
97 Superduty cranks but won't start. No WTS or other warning lights. I was trying to find a 12v key on source and possibly pulled something loose but I can't seem to find anything. Both batteries unhooked and 12.55 - 12 65 v with clean connections. All fuses look good.
Anyone have an idea where to go next??
Thanks in advance.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
97 Superduty cranks but won't start. No WTS or other warning lights. I was trying to find a 12v key on source and possibly pulled something loose but I can't seem to find anything. Both batteries unhooked and 12.55 - 12 65 v with clean connections. All fuses look good.
Anyone have an idea where to go next??
Thanks in advance.

Check yer fuses again.. with a test light. Could be the fuel heater eliment has shorted. Un-plug it at the fuel filter housing.. replace that fuse.. give it a try.

Joe

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Checked all fuses with meter and found no problems. Is it possible while moving wires around under the dash I screwed something up? I have tried moving everything around again, checking connections but that hasn't fixed it. There has to be a common denominater but I'm not smart enough to know what it is.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You know, I have never seen a free online wiring diagram. They maybe out there, but they are keeping it a secret. What are you looking to find?

Dave :)

dpantazis

Reaction score
retrace your steps when you were tracing wires.

check all the wiring bundle connectors.

check the PCM wiring harness to make sure its seated.

check your oil- low oil will trip a safety.

do you have a chip? check your batteries. some chips dont behave well with low voltage.

i would really look hard at the power distribution box under the hood. iirc, the OBS trucks had them too.

dp

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
retrace your steps when you were tracing wires.

check all the wiring bundle connectors.

check the PCM wiring harness to make sure its seated.

check your oil- low oil will trip a safety.

do you have a chip? check your batteries. some chips dont behave well with low voltage.

i would really look hard at the power distribution box under the hood. iirc, the OBS trucks had them too.

dp

Times 2.

dp said it all.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the maxi fuses under the hood, likely is you'll find one blown, Either the IDM or the PCM share the same fuse with the fuel bowl heater and when it shorts out you're left with a truck that won't go anywhere.

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Finaaly got it running!!

:innocent:)Thanks for the suggestions. After checking all of the connectors, fuses, termination points, etc. I pulled the parking brake assemby and found the edge connector of the chip was about 1/2 pulled loose ( I'm guessing from my awkward attempts at removing dash).
Thanks guys, I thought I had blown something up.

Times 2.

dp said it all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58