97 column problems

McDizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 ignition actuator broke

I have a 97 F-350 and the linkage in the column is messed up. You turn the key forward or run/start position and everything engages fine and then when the key is reversed to the off the position only the part listed as (A) come back with the ignition switch and the rest doesn't come back with it, the rest is listed as (B). you can go to the back of the column with a screw driver and pop it (B) back to the off or run position. I took the column outta the truck and took it up to the local ford garage and the mechanic said that there is a small plastic pin that is broke inside there. he said to pull the steering wheel off and everything could be pull out towards the drivers side of the column. Anyone ever had this happen or toren into something like this? i could use some help. from the looks of the casting i cant see how its all gonna come out that way but i dunno.

1997steeringcolumn.jpg

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It sounds like there is some sort of broken hook or eyelet that is pushing but not pulling.

Years ago, my daughter's car had a problem in the same general area. It turned out to be a broken gear on a little rack & pinion sort of mechanism for activating the actual switch mounted on the column under the dash.

McDizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read alittle further into it and it appears the are two "ignition actuators" in there and there is a pin connecting the two. So once the pin breaks everything can be pushed forwards but cannot be brought to the off position. So is there anyone out there that knows how to get it apart???????????????????????????

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
it's a major PITA, but yeah, it's do-able...
you're gonna need a pivot pin puller, some of Ford's "torque-it-until-the-heads-come-off bolts" and a LOT of patience.. and a fresh memory card on your digital camera would be a good help..

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
man o man.......you are going to need some beer after this one.

dont let it scare you, its really not "hard" but it definitely has an intimidating look about it.

i had to do mine about 2 years ago, and unfortunately it was too long ago for me to remember accurately enough to help you. i remember needing to do a little trial and error before getting the tumbler installed and clocked correctly with the plastic rack. i also remember needing a friend. you will need one too, unless you are gifted with a third hand!

whats a "torque-it-until-the-heads-come-off bolts" lol im not good with the techincal names

those are security bolts. they basically have 2 heads, one atop the other. when you reach the appropriate torque, the hex head breaks off, leaving you with what looks like the top of a carriage bolt, half moon smooth like. you will need to take them out, but its a PITA. i had good luck with a sharp chisel and hammer to get a bite on the smooth head and beat it around until it was loose and pliers would finish the job.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow....JHC!!! -- what demented person invented a TIUTHCO bolt?

McDizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you defintily need a third hand, putting this thing back together is a b%^&$h, the springs are the worst part ERRRRRRR:rant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg