97 E4OD issues

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Ok here is one that has got me. I changed the trans fluid in a 97 F super duty and now it will not stop leaking out of the pan seal, especially around the bolt holes. I have serviced many transmissions and have never had this problem. The truck does not have to be running for it to leak all over the place, but when it is running it doesn't leak. The fluid level when cold is supposed to be lower than when it is hot, but as of now it isn't. The fluid level when hot is right where it needs to be on the stick.

Would I have the wrong dip stick, which is allowing me to put the wrong amount of fluid in or is something draining down like the torque converter and over filling the pan?

The only thing I have thought of, is the truck is overfull, but it still shouldn't leak out the pan seal.

I may try a different pan seal and look up the right amount of fluid needed then worry about the dipstick.

Any help would be appreciated.

MADVAN

Few Loose Nuts
Reaction score
Check the level before you start it up. Could be the anti drain back valve is defective or something in it allowing the fuild to rise in the pan. This valve keeps the TC full.
The valve is in the return line in the rear of trans.
A drastic rise in fluid hot could be your running to hot and its from expansion.

Bill

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
This trans isn't in my truck it is in one of my work trucks. What confuses me is that the fluid is higher when it is cold then when it is hot.

MADVAN

Few Loose Nuts
Reaction score
I would say the TC is draining down.
Check the valve. I have seen some remove the valve to increase flow. If you remove the rear line. The fitting that the line goes in is the check valve. Dont see alot of check valve failures.

Bill

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Thanks I will check that tomarrow. The trans is a Jasper re-built, but I don't know how many miles are on it since I bought the truck used.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58