97 F-350 Exaust Question

RyanPZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys been looking aroung for a long time and finaly have a reason to post. My neighbor finally sol me her husbands powerstroke. It has 25,000 which i think will cause me problems since it sat so much over the years, but i don't care because it is a brand new truck. It is a reg. cab long bed and when i first got it their was so much carbon build-up that we smoked out some cars. But know i need to loose the muff and maybe the cat, but i just think the muff will do me for now. I am on vacation right now so a i am not home so can i just out a peice of strait pipe in place of the muffler. Or is it offset from the inlet ad the outlet. If a can put a peice of pipe in and clamp it for a day or too until i make it to work. Also what size pipe am i looking for, do you guys think pep boys will have the pipe if not i know i can get it. It just that the pepboys is 2 miles away. Thanks for the great site hope to here from you guys soon

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
RyanPZ said:
Hey guys been looking aroung for a long time and finaly have a reason to post. My neighbor finally sol me her husbands powerstroke. It has 25,000 which i think will cause me problems since it sat so much over the years, but i don't care because it is a brand new truck. It is a reg. cab long bed and when i first got it their was so much carbon build-up that we smoked out some cars. But know i need to loose the muff and maybe the cat, but i just think the muff will do me for now. I am on vacation right now so a i am not home so can i just out a peice of strait pipe in place of the muffler. Or is it offset from the inlet ad the outlet. If a can put a peice of pipe in and clamp it for a day or too until i make it to work. Also what size pipe am i looking for, do you guys think pep boys will have the pipe if not i know i can get it. It just that the pepboys is 2 miles away. Thanks for the great site hope to here from you guys soon

HOLY CRAP 25k I'd go with a few problems for that, but I really doubt you'll have any cept maybe soem leaking seals that hardened up from lack of lube. That is awesome, get a good deal to boot?

Oh by the way, the factory exhaust size is 3.5 and yes you can just stick a piece of pipe in there it isn't offset.

RyanPZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well no leaks yet, some people think ii got ripped but i no for a fact it has not gone more than 10 miles one way and garage kept. some people think i got riped but i feel like i stole something. i eventuly want to get a full exaust turbo back. can i loose the cat or does it vary state to state

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I believe it is 3.5" pipe and yes it is straight.

Sounds like you got a great truck, 25K on a 97 :sweet

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
RyanPZ said:
well no leaks yet, some people think ii got ripped but i no for a fact it has not gone more than 10 miles one way and garage kept. some people think i got riped but i feel like i stole something. i eventuly want to get a full exaust turbo back. can i loose the cat or does it vary state to state

Legally it has to be there if it came with it, to be honest though it doesn't do anything but trap stuff and plug up on a diesel. In all honesty your emmisions are probably lower with it out of the system once it gets enough miles on it to fill up with junk.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but the CAT is going to be more of a restriction than the muffler...I'd kill the cat before the muffler

-Casey

94redbeauty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PSDfreak said:
Correct me if I am wrong but the CAT is going to be more of a restriction than the muffler...I'd kill the cat before the muffler

-Casey

Do what Casey said, the stock muffler is a straight through piece so its really no restriction. If I were you (and dont have to go through emission testing) knock the stock downpipe out and the Cat, it will sound good and breath a hellava lot better :sweet

RyanPZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah i know the cat is more restrictive and plan on getting a new exaust. but just for know i am going to just do the mufler for sound because these origonail tires are rotted slicks. Could i just puond out this cat or just buy a new down pipe. I will look at it monday when i get home

94redbeauty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could do both, can get an aftermarket "round" downpipe, clear the Cat, get a Cat delete pipe, whatever floats your boat :sweet

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
RyanPZ,

Dp yourself a favor make a decision if you're going to do a full system or a down pipe and cat pipe now. We see a lot of customers do the pipe and cat and then decide to do a whole system later and youre paying twice for the down pipe and cat pipe that way!! We stock the down pipes and cat pipes ia aluminized and stainless as well as the MBRP and AFE complete systems. The AFE systems is so cost competitive it almost doesn't make sense to not get a full system initially. If you have any questions just call.

Mark @ DPPI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14