'97 FRONT END WON'T ALIGN

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
:tex We have a 97 F350 4x4 CC at work and have been having some problems. We had the ball joints and tie rod ends and drag links replaced in July and then an alignment in which they replaced the left side cam. It drove straight for a bit until we aired up a low tire. It has never been right since. We took it to a Ford dealership today and they said the right cam needed replacing. So after they did that they said that they still cannot get it into specs. :cussing: Does anyone know a secret that Ford doesn't know?:rant or is my boss being jacked around?

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you driven it now? what spec specificially is out, caster, camber, toe, cross camber?

It is possible that someone's bent the tube from hitting something.

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
The guy driving it today said it used to pull to the left and now pulls hard right. They said they can't get the camber or caster on the right side into spec.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
BTW,

Don't take it back to the FORD shop,

Take it to a BIG TRUCK SHOP that can do alignments on BIG TRUCKS!

I allways had the best of luck with those ;)

bigfootpsd96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Big K said:
Axle bent? or Maybe Knuckle?

Could be a few things.

Big K said:
BTW,

Don't take it back to the FORD shop,

Take it to a BIG TRUCK SHOP that can do alignments on BIG TRUCKS!

I allways had the best of luck with those

im with big k......as far as the air up a tire and it then pulling sounds like whoever did the alignment didnt air the tires up to spec b4 they did the alignment. when i was an intern i forgot to do that one time on an alignment lol. got burned and never forgot to do it again :sweet

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lifted_up said:
The guy driving it today said it used to pull to the left and now pulls hard right. They said they can't get the camber or caster on the right side into spec.

Caster? cant get caster into spec? I think that is a line. Caster is adjusted by the tie rod end adjustments. Only way they would not be able to get it adjusted is if the tube is maxed out one way or another. Make sure that you have an equal number of threads in each side of the tie rod adjustment tube.

Camber on the other had, is adjusted with an esentric on the top of the knuckle. There are fixed ones and adjustable ones. If you know what size you have installed already, and know how far off it is, you can do the math and get a fixed one and slap it in. That would be the most reliable. If you get an adjustable one, you can adjust it on the spot, but I have found them more prone to loosening. Sounds like the stealership put in the wrong esentric. I think we have proven thier technical ability has been exceeded.

Check the esentric on the top side of the axle.. make sure it is in there snug. here is a pic of mine on my old D50:Upper esentirc on 95 ball joint knuckle

I would aviod having the stealership work on a lifted truck. Take it to a reputable 4x4 shop and have them do thier magic. And, dont take it home until it is right.

Gawd.. cant be all that difficult on a solid axle. Only a 4 adjustments and all of them you can do yourself. Heck, I have not taken my truck to have it aligned since I had my bad experience at 4wheelparts in San Jose and ended up fixing it myself. several thousand miles later, no tire wear at all and tracks like on rails. Bunch of knuckleheads there in SJ. :cussing: punks! :cussing: Nuf said.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14